Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HSpeelman
Frequent Visitor

Unable to remove local model after switch from live to direct query

Hi,

For my customer, we have agreed to create reports based on a shared dataset. The user needs to create a live connection to a Power BI dataset.

However, what we sometimes see, is that they create local models where they did not add anything to the model itself with exception of measures that do not impact the live dataset. However when they publish, they publish a dataset together with the report.

I was wondering if it was possible to change the connection back to live without removing the connection first which breaks the newly created measures? Removing the connection and connecting again solve the trick on 'removing' the local model, but then the measure have dissappeared as well.

Kind regards,

Hendrik

2 REPLIES 2
HSpeelman
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yalanwu-msft ,

Thank you for the link.

A concrete scenario would be the following:

- user creates PBI report in PBI Desktop and connects to a shared dataset (live connection)

- user adds measures specific for his report

- user then wants to add calculated column, so he needs to change to direct query mode and adds a local modal

- user published the report and creates a chained dataset (due to the local model)

- IT sees this and add the calculated column in the shared dataset

- IT does not want to see the chained dataset in PBI Service, as the calculated column is now available in the shared dataset. IT asks the user to relink his report to the shared dataset again.

- As far as I know (and this is the core question) - User is not able to revoke the local model and change back to a live connection, WITHOUT getting his measures deleted.

I hope this makes it more clear for you.

Kind regards,

Hendrik

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @HSpeelman ,

There are a few considerations to keep in mind when using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

I may be confused, but can you illustrate with some scenarios?
Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors