Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jshutters
Resolver I
Resolver I

Unable to refresh web data source in PBI Service

Hello, I'm unable to refresh a Web data source in PBI Service, which happens to be connected to an Excel file in SharePoint. 

Error message is (from the Service, Dataset section)…

"Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again."  See screen shot below.

ScreenShot1.png

When I look at my dataset settings in the Service, I have 2 data sources…

1. One source to Teradata DB on-prem, which connects fine when the data gateway is on and running. No problem there.
  2. The other source is using the Web connector option to an Excel file on SharePoint.  When I click on the "Edit credentials" in the above screen shot, I see only 3 choices for the authentication type.  Where is the Organizational Type method?

ScreenShot2.png

Web connector Background:

I used the Web connector to import the Excel data into PBI Desktop, per this link https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Import-Data-from-an-Excel-sheet-in-SharePoint/td-p/47223  which works and refreshes fine in PBI Desktop.  When I had setup Web connector, I had entered credentials into the "Organizational account" item. See screen shot below.  No problems there.

ScreenShot3.png

In summary, I'm confused why the PBI Service doesn't offer an "Organizational account" authentication method and doesn't let the Web connector refresh, when I see the option in the Desktop and can refresh there.

4 REPLIES 4
NickSter
Advocate I
Advocate I

I had the same issue with web sources, but for me it helped to have the same authentication method in the PBI service as i had in the PBI when i published it.

To fix this i first changed the permisions on PBI (Go to File Menu > Options and Settings > Data Source Setting > Edit permission. 

for example change it to Anonymous. Then republish it to PBI service.

After that make sure the datasource credentials in PBI service have the same permission.

Maybe this helps.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jshutters 

Is the credential used for sharepoint the same as which log in Power BI?

If so, use "Sharepoint online connnector" in Power BI Desktop to connect, after publishing to Service, edit credential (select "Oauth2") for the dataset.

You could follow this article.

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-juanli-msft , Thanks for your insightful reply. While using a different connector looks like a work-around to avoid the web connector altogether, it certainly doesn't solve the issue why the web connector doesn't work, as I had described above. I'm starting to think that this might be a bug with the product.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your issue resolved? im ended up with the same problem

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors