Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dsebban

Unable to refresh the model because it references an unsupported data source.

Hi,

I created a PBIX file using powerbi desktop. it contains 

• 18 queries using the Web.Contents source (querying anonymously an online REST API)
  • 1 query using the "Enter Data" feature - Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText(...

I uploaded this PBIX file and created a dashboard and now I see that it never refreshed because it references an unsupported data source.

V50sPIt

What can I do to identify this unsupported data source ? 

The REST API needs an auth token, this auth token is never expiring and is hardcoded in my queries. is that the issue ?

9 REPLIES 9
behonji
Regular Visitor

I received the same error "references an unsupported data source".  My issue was because I had the connection string property "Application Name" set.  Once I removed the Application Name property it started working.  My scenario was me migrating an SSAS 2016 tabular model to Power BI Premium (as a dataset).

olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Has any one found a solution to this yet? I am in the same situation, getting my data from a JSON API and unable to schedule data refreshes due to the data source being unsupported. @v-caliao-msft @dsebban @BIsteht 

Unable to refresh the model (id=379417) because it references an unsupported data source.

@olimilo I did. Code snippets below. I don't recall exactly where I found the base function. I updated what I found to fit my needs. This hits the Pipedrive Deals endpoint. Function name is GetDeals:

(start as number) as record => 
let
Source = Json.Document(
Web.Contents(
"https://companydomain.pipedrive.com/v1/deals", 
[Query = [
start = "" & Number.ToText(start) &"" , 
limit = "500", 
api_token = "YOURTOKEN"
]]
)
)
in
Source

This pulls the records to a staging query where I then just expand the record list and model as needed. No issues since using this approach. Staging query below:

let
Source = List.Generate( ()=>
[Result= try GetDeals(0) otherwise null, Start = 0],
each [Result] <> null,
each [Result = try GetDeals([Result][additional_data][pagination][next_start]) otherwise null, Start = [Result][additional_data][pagination][next_start]],
each [Result])
in
Source

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i am facing the same issue. i am pulling the data from SharePoint and using a python script to manipulate the data in power BI . 

olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hey @BIsteht, I was able to solve mine by referring to the article here: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/08/16/using-the-relativepath-and-query-options-with-web-contents-i...

Basically what I did was separate the Web API's URL between a static URL and a variable URL like below:

Web.Contents(
    [
        RelativePath="3/action/package_search",
        Query=
        [
            q="cows",
            rows="20"
        ]
    ]
)
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@dsebban,

You need to compare your data source provider with the list of supported data sources found within Refresh data in Power BI to check if it's a supported datasource. Please refer to the link below to see the details.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-troubleshoot-unsupported-data-source-for-ref...

Regards,

Charlie Liao

I did and don't understand why it doesn't refresh I'm querying external public sources using anonymous connexion. Please help

@dsebban @v-caliao-msft same issue here. A single API call with token embedded in the URL refreshed fine for months. I added a function to page the API yesterday and now the scheduled refresh fails. I vaguely recall seeing some literature on this issue but cannot find it anywhere.

The other odd thing is that I cannot see ANY of the datasources in the model when I try to review the settings. No Gateway Connection or Datasource Credentials options.

Screenshot_1.png

hi @BIsteht ,

does your issue is sorted...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors