Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Agustony
Regular Visitor

Unable to refresh from Excel in One Drive for Business

Hi, I have a dashboard that uses dataset from excel that is stored in One Drive for Business. It worked fine until recently. I get this error when trying to refresh the dataset "it appears that your access to this file on OneDrive for Business has been blocked. Please contact your site administrator."

The same business account is used to login into the Power BI service and One Drive. Can anyone explain what's wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
Agustony
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I have been refreshing my PowerBI service reports and dashboard from an excel that I stored in my One Drive for Business. Used to work fine but now I get an error message "It appears that your access to this file on OneDrive for Business has been blocked. Please contact your site administrator."

I am using the same business account for both ODfB and Power BI. Can you help to figure out what's wrong?

Hi @Agustony

Could you sign in for onedrive for bussiness using the current account?

Please test to see if your Onedrive account has been blocked.

Best Regards

Maggie

HI @v-juanli-msft,

I can access both One Drive for Business and Power BI with no problem.

I can also edit the excel file from which my dashboard is drawing its data from.

I am alos able to add the same excel file as a new dataset. However, as mentioned, the refresh always fails. 

I tried exploring all the settings in Power BI and ODfB but don't see anything amiss.

Do let me know if you have any solution to this. Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a permissions issue on the file on the one-drive folder.  In the connection settings you would have set up a Username and Password that Power BI would use to access this file.  I'd expect you have either:

1. Changed the password for that user account but not updated Power BI with the new password
  2. The permissions have changed on the file, and this account was no longer included.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors