Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to refresh due to M-code date table

Hi all!

Hope someone can help.
I come across this error when trying to set up a scheduled refresh:

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:

• Data source for Query1

Now Query 1 is just a bunch of M-code that I got from a tutorial on how to create a date table and doesn't need to be refreshed. The code has parameters you fill in and then it generates a separate date table. For reference, here's the tutorial:
blog.enterprisedna.co/creating-a-date-table-in-power-bi-the-fastest-way-possible/ 

Things I've tried:
1) I've tried going to datasource settings and unchecking the 'include datasource in scheduled refresh' option but it's greyed out and can't be unchecked.
2) I've tried deleting the Query 1 but a warning pops up saying the date table relies on it.

Surely you shouldn't need to choose between a date table and scheduled refresh... any ideas?

Appreciate any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to have solved the issue. It wasn't to do with the datasources, it was to do with the gateway. Once I had downloaded and set up the latest personal gateway, the scheduled refresh worked.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

This would be a case of "probably best to see it to help out."   If the file doesn't have sensitive stuff in it, can you post the file somewhere and I can take a look at it?  Or, you could just send me a link specifically if it has sensitive stuff and you trust me 🙂  .

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have now removed the 'Query 1' and the date table altogether and I'm still getting the same error! 
Why is Power BI telling me I can't refresh Query 1 when query 1 doesn't now exist?
Is there some kind of cache that can be cleared or is 'Query 1' a generic name for datasources?
This seems like a bug, how can I report this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

Thnx for the offer. I can't really provide the full workbook due to the other data being sensitve company data :(. It would throw up errors anyway as you wouldn't be able to connect to my company databases to refresh the other data sources. I tried taking them out, leaving just the date table and query 1 so you could look at that, but having tried uploading it to a workspace and setting schedule refresh myself, it says "you have no data sources to refresh"... so why does Power BI view query 1 as something that must be refreshed in the first instance but something that can't be refreshed in the second (when I've taken the other data sources out)? 
An alternative solution would be- do you know how to create a date table that doesn't have this refresh issue?

Hi @Anonymous ,

I understand your concerns about the data sensitivity.  My suggestion was based on the fact that I think this is a situation where we would have to dig into the query itself.  It appears to me that there is something unique about this query (which may or may not be a bid deal) but I am not sure that this can be easily diagnosed online in a chat situation.  Perhaps you can open a ticket with Microsoft then?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to have solved the issue. It wasn't to do with the datasources, it was to do with the gateway. Once I had downloaded and set up the latest personal gateway, the scheduled refresh worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors