Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ruyguy
Frequent Visitor

Unable to refresh Power BI report that is connected to SQ and Excel

I have created a power bi that imports data from a SQL table and an excel file located on a shared drive.  I'm able to successfully publish the report to the Power BI service but when I attempt schedule a refresh I'm getting missing gateway errors.  I have created gateways for both SQL and Excel and i can get the report to refresh correctly if only connected to one of the data source types.  It's only when I use both excel and sql that I am unable to refresh the report.  Any help?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I am facing same problem after adding excel file to model. I am unable to setup schedule refresh, for testing I have deleted the file and tried refresh - now its working. What is the best way to overcome this situation.

@ruyguy Since you placed the Excel file in a cloud location, you can only use a personal gateway. The reason is that mixing cloud and on premises data sources is not supported in the Enterprise Gateway. Based on your description, I'm assuming a few things here, so tell me if I'm wrong.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the quick response but both the excel files and SQL tables are on-prem.  What is really odd though is that the issue only appears to not work with Excel, I can take the same files and convert them to csv or txt and the refresh works when combined with SQL data,  unfortunately just not with xlsx.

@ruyguy Hmm. That is odd. You say you created gateways for each source, do you mean you created a datasource for each? Do you have any issues refreshing the data in the Desktop? Are you just pulling the data from the raw tabs in the Excel file?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Correct I created a source for each file and for the SQL database.  The refresh process works perfectly with desktop app but once it gets published to the cloud I'm getting the data gateway error. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors