Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sricharan_g
Frequent Visitor

Unable to "Test as Role" in Power BI Service Row-Level Security

Hi All,
I am unable to Test Roles in the Power BI Service, it redirects to the report with no option to enter email-ids.
Test as role.JPGRole Not working.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello Folks,

Please refer the link.

Support Page

Power BI customers testing RLS feature may not be able to see the banner indicating "Now viewing as:" while selecting a role to test. RLS is still applied as expected. Engineers are working on a fix and expect it to be deployed by end-of-day 03/02/2020.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR

venal.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello Folks,

Please refer the link.

Support Page

Power BI customers testing RLS feature may not be able to see the banner indicating "Now viewing as:" while selecting a role to test. RLS is still applied as expected. Engineers are working on a fix and expect it to be deployed by end-of-day 03/02/2020.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR

venal.

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sricharan_g 

There is no members assigned to the role, can't you just enter emails in the box then Add them? 

We would need you to clarify your problem. Thank you.

This document may help you: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

Paul Zheng

rls.jpg

@V-pazhen-msft 

The issue exists even for reports with users assigned to roles.

@sricharan_g 

Unfortunately Power BI service currently do not support that "test as role", you can only use "View as roles“ in Desktop as the alternative.

The issue is already submitted to Power BI Team, you can vote up the idea: 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/20556391-please-bring-back-test-a...

Best, regards

Paul Zheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

V-pazhen-msft, test-as-role was working before the weekend and has been working for most of 2019. 

I just noticed the error and came to the forums to see what was going on.

@Anonymous 

I had the same issue yesterday and then find that published the idea.

Somehow, this function works for me today. 

3.JPG

If you cannot get it sorted, I would suggest you go for a support ticket.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/?cdn=disable

Best regards

Paul Zheng

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

It appears to me that you do not have any users in the roles?

And have you configured the roles to accept the UserPrincipal names?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ 

Thank you for responding. The image shown in the post might be misleading but the existing reports in the service, with users assigned to roles, also are facing this issue. I'm not sure if this is anything related to the latest update, but we're observing this behavior post the Feb update.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors