Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

xantari
Helper II
Helper II

Unable to "Run As Administrator" with power BI desktop

Normally in windows I can hold down the "Shift" key and right click a shortcut or program executable and it will allow me to "Run As Administrator" or "Run As a different user".

But these options are missing on Power BI Desktop.

How to fix?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue. This issue is noticed with the windows store app and not seen by the client from the downloadable installer. For some reason I haven't found a work-around for this issue yet. The purpose for using the windows store app is to roll out automatic updates to our users. 

I was trying to update the registry to override this setting however, the app doesn't seem to add this context in the more menu

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

ShowRunAsDifferentUserInStart 

I finally figured out a workaround by gaining access to the folder. 

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop

I changed the ownership for the WindowsApps folder as my own account and I can run the App from a different user with a desktop shortcut.

PBIDesktopRunAsDifferentUser.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue. This issue is noticed with the windows store app and not seen by the client from the downloadable installer. For some reason I haven't found a work-around for this issue yet. The purpose for using the windows store app is to roll out automatic updates to our users. 

I was trying to update the registry to override this setting however, the app doesn't seem to add this context in the more menu

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

ShowRunAsDifferentUserInStart 

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xantari,

According to your description, I have tested it with the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.52.4921.682 64-bit (November 2017)) on my environment. And I have the option to "Run As Administrator" or "Run As a different user".

run.PNG

What version of Power BI Desktop are you using? Could you try downloading and installing the latest version from here to see if it works? Smiley Happy

Regards

Even I have the option to "Run As Administrator" or "Run As a different user".

I'm also using Latest version of Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

Bajee.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors