When i export a report from Power BI to excel it does not correctly export the special characters, e.g. Životná is exported as Å½ivotnÃ¡
I have a feeling it is something to do with exporting to .csv....is this the case? any work around?
This is because Excel by default open a CSV file as text file.
As a workaround, you can do the following:
1. Open Excel
2. Import the data using Data-->Import External Data --> Import Data
3. Select the file type of "csv" and browse to your file
4. Change the Delimiter to comma
5. Select where to import to and Finish
6. You can go ahead and remove separator instruction.
Power BI desktop is generationg CSV using UTF-8 encoding with , as the separator and Excel is by default using ANSI encoding and the separator defined at Control Panel / Region and Language / Advance Settings / List separator (you may need to change it to , )
Using the Import Wizard of Excel let you choose the encoding (you have to select UTF-8 at nearly the end of the list)
Problem with the Import Wizard is that Line Feed (cariage return) will screw your data.
The Wizard is not able to deal with them.