Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Trudgeon
Helper III
Helper III

Unable to load model (only happens for new users and only one app)

I've read multiple forum posts on this subject and haven't been able to find a solution.

I have have two users that are getting an "Unable to load the model" error on powerbi.com when trying to open a particular app.  Here is what makes it puzzling: 

(1) they can open other custom apps just fine.

(2) our established, longer term users can open the app in question.

(3) the new users have the same Pro license that the established, longer term users have.

There does not appear any rhyme or reason to this issue.  To try to rectify this issue, I have refreshed and re-published the pbix.  I also have removed all of the reports from the app then updated, then restored all of the reports from the app then updated.  I have also tried to directly share the reports with new users.  Every time they run into the Unable to load the model" error.  

This is the first time I've come across this error in my fours year of Power admin experience.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Trudgeon
Helper III
Helper III

I found the issue.  I forgot to to add the users to the row-level security security settings in the dataset.  Silly me.  It would be helpful if the Microsoft error messages could provide some specific info.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Trudgeon
Helper III
Helper III

I found the issue.  I forgot to to add the users to the row-level security security settings in the dataset.  Silly me.  It would be helpful if the Microsoft error messages could provide some specific info.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Trudgeon 

Can you make sure that the users have got the read/build permissions on the dataset under manage permissions?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors