Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alain_Huynh
Regular Visitor

Unable to install On-premises data gateway

Installation fails when it tries to start the service PBIEgwService.

I check local security policies, NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES and NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService are allowed to Log on as a service.

I do the install with a local admin.

I get this error :

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service PBIEgwService on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartServiceImpl(String serviceDisplayName, TimeSpan timeout)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartService(Session session)

In the log :

MSI (s) (0C!B4) [10:49:59:729]:
1: {"ClassName":"System.InvalidOperationException","Message":"Cannot start service PBIEgwService on computer '.'.","Data":null,"InnerException":{"NativeErrorCode":1053,"ClassName":"System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception","Message":"The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion","Data":null,"InnerException":null,"HelpURL":null,"StackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackIndex":0,"ExceptionMethod":null,"HResult":-2147467259,"Source":null,"WatsonBuckets":null},"HelpURL":null,"StackTraceString":" at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)\r\n at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartServiceImpl(String serviceDisplayName, TimeSpan timeout)\r\n at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartService(Session session)","RemoteStackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackIndex":0,"ExceptionMethod":"8\nStart\nSystem.ServiceProcess, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a\nSystem.ServiceProcess.ServiceController\nVoid Start(System.String[])","HResult":-2146233079,"Source":"System.ServiceProcess","WatsonBuckets":null}

Please help !

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I found a solution :

When you install the gateway, the gateway create a directory (PBIEgwService) in C:\users. The installation have to be allowed to write in that directory. You have to check the authorizations of this directory.

It works for me.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Arunsundar
Frequent Visitor

Hi Alain,

Thats a security setting issue. I created a support ticket with Microsoft team and gave the following solution. After trying this, it worked out for me.

The issue is due to the unique permissions for different folders and something is restricting even the admin to complete the install.

Could you try this:

Find the C:\Users\Default folder, right->Properties -> Security tab -> Advanced -> Change Permissions button -> Check "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object"

Security setting to be doneSecurity setting to be done

Please try this and try installing the gateway again.

Thanks,

Arunsundar

Hi ,

I am also having the same issue, followed the above steps unfortunately this didnt work for me. Please see below error message. Help will be much appreciated.

PowerBi Error.PNG

Property(S): USERNAME = Windows User
Property(S): DATABASE = C:\Windows\Installer\46e022.msi
Property(S): OriginalDatabase = C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{88374B84-5ACC-4B22-B0D3-19FFA89B6E54}v14.16.6768.3\EgwComponents.msi
Property(S): UILevel = 2
Property(S): MsiUISourceResOnly = 1
Property(S): ACTION = INSTALL
Property(S): ROOTDRIVE = C:\
Property(S): CostingComplete = 1
Property(S): OutOfDiskSpace = 0
Property(S): OutOfNoRbDiskSpace = 0
Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceAvailable = 0
Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceRequired = 0
Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceRemaining = 0
Property(S): INSTALLLEVEL = 1
Property(S): SOURCEDIR = C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{88374B84-5ACC-4B22-B0D3-19FFA89B6E54}v14.16.6768.3\
Property(S): SourcedirProduct = {88374B84-5ACC-4B22-B0D3-19FFA89B6E54}
Property(S): SERVICE_INSTALLED_WITH_DIFF_USER = 0
Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1
MSI (s) (C8:54) [10:09:33:271]: Note: 1: 1708
MSI (s) (C8:54) [10:09:33:271]: Product: EgwComponents -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (C8:54) [10:09:33:271]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: EgwComponents. Product Version: 14.16.6768.3. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI (s) (C8:54) [10:09:33:302]: Deferring clean up of packages/files, if any exist
MSI (s) (C8:54) [10:09:33:302]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
MSI (s) (C8:34) [10:09:33:302]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed.
MSI (s) (C8:34) [10:09:33:302]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.
=== Logging stopped: 30/07/2018 10:09:33 ===
MSI (s) (C8:34) [10:09:33:318]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (C8:34) [10:09:33:318]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (C8:34) [10:09:33:318]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (s) (C8:34) [10:09:33:318]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (C8:34) [10:09:33:318]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (C8:34) [10:09:33:318]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (s) (C8:34) [10:09:33:334]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (s) (C8:98) [10:09:33:334]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
MSI (c) (1C:40) [10:09:33:334]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (1C:40) [10:09:33:334]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
=== Verbose logging stopped: 30/07/2018 10:09:33 ===

Regards

MizeelA

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Alain_Huynh,

Since I can't reproduce the issue, can you share some detail content?

1. Detail information of gateway: version, language, detail install steps...
2. System version.(I test with win10[64-bit English] not faced the issue)
3. Network related information: please check the network setting to ensure if the issue is related to it.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

Framework .NET 4.5 has been installed.

It's the latest version of PowerBI Gateway.

I'm on Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, English version, 64 bits 7 GB RAM. It's a virtual machine on the azure cloud.

There are no configured proxy.

Network on DHCP, automatic DNS.

I tried to install on my local machine (Windows 7) and it works.

How to check if it's a network problem ?

Thanks.

Hi,

I found a solution :

When you install the gateway, the gateway create a directory (PBIEgwService) in C:\users. The installation have to be allowed to write in that directory. You have to check the authorizations of this directory.

It works for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot. I add this issue but more because D:\users\PBIEgwService already exists instead of right permission problem.

This directory was created by a previous install which failed and wasn't removed.

I've removed this directory and launch again the installation and everything was good.

Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

@Alain_Huynh could you be more specific.I get errro when installing, but i dont see any folder under C:\user

Hi,

You have to add the authorization on C:\users. During the installation, the installer creates the directory PBIEgwService in c:\users and sometimes (depending on your windows configuration) it can't be possible because you don't have enough rights (or the directory is created but some files can't be added).

Note that when the installation fails, the directory is removed. You have to check c:\users during the installation, not after.

@Alain_Huynh Does the machine meet the minimum requirements outline here specifically check the that the .Net 4.5 framework is installed on the machine.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors