Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to export underlying data into excel

Hi, I'm receiving an error when I try to export underlying data in Power BI Service. I have tried exporting underlying data and summarised data to both excel and they both come up with the below error. When I try to export summarised data to csv, I am able to export it. What is required by my audience is the ability to export underlying data preferably to Excel given it provides 150,000 rows (Excel) as oppose to 30,000 rows (Csv).

Error is:

File couldn't be created 

Executing the Query for the Export Data operation resulted in an error.

I note that this was working previously and I'm unsure if it had to do with me adding 2 more pages to my report. Has anyone encountered this issue previously? Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

Edit: I figured out that it's only happening when I try to export underlying data from a Matrix. 

Extra info: 2 datasets which are Direct Query and also joined via a relationship. 

9 REPLIES 9
jowdeefin

were you able to resolve this issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get the same error, only able to download summarized data but not the data in teh current layout. In my case the limitations are related to the number of columns.

MarinaBris
Regular Visitor

Hello,

We are having the same issue.  Its working fine on my Chrome, and other people's, but the same dashboard on another person's PC is throwing up this error.  He cleared his cache on Chrome, I checked his security - not sure why its working for most people and failing for him only? (at least noone else has complained).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you 🙂

felippeotavioro

Hi,
I had de same problem recently and figure out that the problem was due to a conflict with a new policy in the last actualizacion of the antivirus of the company.
Try to talk to infraestructure or securety team to solve the problem, in my case, I asked to they made an atualization in the polyci and the problem was solved.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Was this issue resolved ? I am having same problem where my table visual is showing same error. Could you please help me on this ?

TVEN

Having the same issue, anyone who solved it?

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Please check if the data or the matrix visual has hit some limitations of exporting underlying data feature.

Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jingzhang

Thanks for your reply. 

I can't see anything that stands out in the limitations. I have tried filtering it so it is only <100 rows of data and it still creates that error, so I can't imagine that the 16MB size is the issue here.

There may also be too many columns in our dataset, but the export underlying data works for other graphs - just not the matrix, which makes me think that's not the issue either. These are the only things I could see would be affecting it from that page you linked. 

@Anonymous 

Do you have other matrix visuals in your report? If so, can these matrix visuals export underlying data? If not, you could add a matrix visual into it and test this. You could also test when a matrix only contains data from a single data table, whether it can export underlying data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors