cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
veee Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to export to Power BI Desktop (.pbix) format

Hi, sorry for the ambiguous statement. I meant deleting all visuals from each tab in the report. The deletion of visuals was done in Power BI Service.

bergjm2 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi @veee,

When you are trying to download the .pbix, are you going into the dashboard/report from the Apps link on the left menu bar, or are you going to Workspaces and selecting the workspace?  I just tried a test one I have, and when I selected it using the Apps menu item, it would not let me edit the report nor down load it.  When I selected the Workspaces item in the left menu and selected the workspace, I was able to edit and download the pbix.

veee Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I accessed the dashboard via the Workspaces item, so the "Edit" and "Download PBIX" shows up on my screen. The problem is, clicking Download PBIX will result in the error message that I have posted previously.

bergjm2 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Have you tried making a copy of the .pbix file you have with a different name then uploading that to the Power BI service and see if your collegue can download that as a .pbix? 

veee Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I have, it also fails. Even I myself cannot download the pbix once I upload it to PBI Service...

Super User
Super User

I would ask IT to check your download policy settings. I think that it is possibly being blocked.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
Power BI Blog
veee Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Is it still a download policy problem if I'm able to download other different pbix files? The download just doesn't work for this particular pbix file.

This is why I tried deleting each visual to see whether any visuals are causing the problem. But even after emptying the dashboard, the problem still persists.

Super User
Super User

You are correct that it is not then a download problem.

I think that there is an issue with this particular PBIX file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
Power BI Blog
veee Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Are there any known causes that are related the contents of the pbix file? As far as I know, it is not mentioned in the list of pbix export limitations on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-export-to-pbix#limitations-and-considerations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 537 members 4,379 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: