Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

veee
Regular Visitor

Unable to export to Power BI Desktop (.pbix) format

Hi,

I'm having trouble exporting my Power BI Desktop report as pbix format from Power BI Service.
I created and uploaded the report from Power BI Desktop. I also have edit access to the report from Power BI Service. Here are the technical details:

Activity ID 96da0f0c-12c8-f39a-384e-28a83d255952
Request ID b91a9f2e-e786-3e85-21c7-8323d48d4f3a
Correlation ID c8e78da6-a7ed-fc2b-a4ef-2e4ac3514c02
Status code 500
Time Tue Mar 27 2018 09:46:42 GMT+0700 (SE Asia Standard Time)
Version 13.0.4759.170

Any ideas on what might be causing the problem?
18 REPLIES 18
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Could I ask the question if you still have the local copy?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes, I still have the local copy.

Could I then ask why you are trying to download the PBIX file from the Service?

Power BI Blog

My colleague wants to edit the report via Power BI Service, then download it as a pbix. But it didn't work because the report was not downloadable, even before edit.

That does not seem normal. Possibly if he was a member of the App Workspace, and then App Workspace was set to ReadOnly for Members?

Power BI Blog

But my colleague has edit access to the report. It's just that when she tried downloading the report, it failed with the above error message.

Then when I tried to diagnose the problem, it turns out that the report is also not downloadable before any edit was done.

I would suggest re-uploading the report and then trying to download it again

Power BI Blog

Hi, I've actually tried that a few times since the past few days. I also tried deleting each visual one-by-one to see whether any kind of visual might be causing the problem. But the issue still occurs even after emptying the whole dashboard.

Just thinking out loud...

1. Are there any other causes besides the limitations mentioned here?
  2. Is there any way I can narrow down the cause of this issue by referring to the technical details?

Hi there, when you talk about the dashboard is this the Power BI Dashboard in the Service, or the report pages in Power BI desktop.

Power BI Blog

Hi, sorry for the ambiguous statement. I meant deleting all visuals from each tab in the report. The deletion of visuals was done in Power BI Service.

Hi @veee,

When you are trying to download the .pbix, are you going into the dashboard/report from the Apps link on the left menu bar, or are you going to Workspaces and selecting the workspace?  I just tried a test one I have, and when I selected it using the Apps menu item, it would not let me edit the report nor down load it.  When I selected the Workspaces item in the left menu and selected the workspace, I was able to edit and download the pbix.

Hi, I accessed the dashboard via the Workspaces item, so the "Edit" and "Download PBIX" shows up on my screen. The problem is, clicking Download PBIX will result in the error message that I have posted previously.

Have you tried making a copy of the .pbix file you have with a different name then uploading that to the Power BI service and see if your collegue can download that as a .pbix? 

Yes, I have, it also fails. Even I myself cannot download the pbix once I upload it to PBI Service...

I would ask IT to check your download policy settings. I think that it is possibly being blocked.

Power BI Blog

Is it still a download policy problem if I'm able to download other different pbix files? The download just doesn't work for this particular pbix file.

This is why I tried deleting each visual to see whether any visuals are causing the problem. But even after emptying the dashboard, the problem still persists.

You are correct that it is not then a download problem.

I think that there is an issue with this particular PBIX file.

Power BI Blog

Are there any known causes that are related the contents of the pbix file? As far as I know, it is not mentioned in the list of pbix export limitations on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-export-to-pbix#limitations-and-considerations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors