Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JP-COE
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to edit workspace as admin

I am the admin for an app workspace, and I want to change the privacy settings on the app. (I am trying to use RLS to limit access to some of the data for specific users.) However, the "Edit Workspace" option is not available even though I am the admin:

Untitled.jpg

Specifically, my bigger issue is that the RLS just doesn't seem to work. I have it setup through Power BI desktop, and then I am using a Premium App workspace. Users can either see everything (if I add them to the app workspace as a member / contributor) or nothing if I just add them to the dataset through the limited permissions. The Power BI guidance on how to do this is very unclear. Please help, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@JP-COE ,

The App Workspace you have created is a "New App Workspace" which is a bit differnt from "App Workspace", so you can't see "Edit Workspace" option, do not click Try Now as snapshot below:

Capture.PNG 

The RLS will not applied to (New)App Workspace Admin or Member. You can share contents in the App Workspace to members in your group without assigning them to your App Workspace.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@JP-COE ,

The App Workspace you have created is a "New App Workspace" which is a bit differnt from "App Workspace", so you can't see "Edit Workspace" option, do not click Try Now as snapshot below:

Capture.PNG 

The RLS will not applied to (New)App Workspace Admin or Member. You can share contents in the App Workspace to members in your group without assigning them to your App Workspace.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, it seems to work - I didn't have to change the workspace settings, rather, I just had to grant access in a different place. It is confusing that Power BI has two different places where access can be granted. (One of them is in "Edit App" "Access" button where access can be granted as a "member," a "contributor," or an "admin," and the other is in the "Update app" (or "publish app") where permission can be granted to specific individuals or groups.) RLS has to be controlled through yet a third method, which requires building the permission levels in Power BI Desktop, publishing it to the Power BI service, then right-clicking on the dataset, selecting "security," and then adding the persons you want restricted to the various groups you created.

I don't know why Power BI doesn't have an easier way to grant / control permissions or access, but this is all excessively complicated for what should be a pretty simple task.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors