Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

S_loke
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unable to create new BW dataflows but existing BW dataflows are editable and refreshing normally

Currently facing an issue where we are unable to create new BW dataflows but at the same time, existing BW dataflows are editable & refresh normally.

Symptoms are:

Within the same workspace (P1 Premium, same gateway, same user), creating a new BW dataflow using the M codes from a working existing BW dataflow returns the error message of "Something went wrong while retrieving details for the on-premises data gateway"

Extremely confusing considering the message would suggest that there is an issue within the gateway but if that is the case, why does the BW dataflows previously built work as expected?

Current gateway screens shows the connection to be active with no error messages.

We have tried the following:

• updating the gateway connection to have "skip connection test"
  • updating the gateway to the current release - 3000.7.149 (July 2019(Release 2))
  • removing and reinstating the gateway connection
  • ensure that language optional string is entered in M code
  • different users who are all PBI, Gateway & workspace admins

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, This issue has now been rectified by MS (or at least for our region Aus south east)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
PerrigoNVanLent
Frequent Visitor

For us, a user can create a BW dataflow if they are set as an admin on the gateway, but they get this error if they are just a user of the BW datasource in the gateway.

tlanza
Advocate I
Advocate I

It's working in the USA too.

tlanza
Advocate I
Advocate I

I'm having this same problem. It just became an issue today 8/14/19. I can't create any new dataflows and I'm getting the "We encountered an error during evalulation. Details: Something when wrong while retrieving details for the on-premises data gateway. Please try again later".

Hi,

Whlist the issue remains, the suggested workaround does work.

The hidden culprit seems to be the fact that the blank query is unable to "test for connection" validating the datasource.  So to "cheat" the process, you can use one of the alternate Datasource from GUI to establish the connection then copy paste the real M query into advance editor.

Long story short (and only works if you have access to a datasource that is supported i.e. you can establish a connection through the dataflow Web GUI)

The steps we perform as below:

1. create new dataflow from SQL server completely from WEB GUI
  2. the actual detail of the steps are irrelevant - you just need to connect we simply connect to the smallest table within a sepcific DB for speed
  3. using advance editor for the dataflow, copy and paste the real codes you want to run
  4. the error will no longer be present and works as prior to the change

Hi, This issue has now been rectified by MS (or at least for our region Aus south east)
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES - thanks for notifying. Works here (North Europe) as well now 🙂

What if I don't have access to a SQL server db?

I am able to add to my existing dataflow entities, the error happens when creating new dataflows.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @S_loke & @Anonymous 

I'm experiencing the exact same issue - did you find a solution ?

Thx

Anders

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, I kinda find a solution.

I used "Blank Query" to try getting my data from a DB2 database... Gateway error message appeared.

Trying to make sure the Gateway is working properly I created a new query selecting "IBM DB2 Database" option from Get Data, I type the required connection settings and clicked Next. The query did connect to the database, but I got a error because there's no sql statement (So, the reason a "Blank query" is needed). Cancel this new query.

Hopelessly, I clicked "Refresh" in the original query... and Power Query actually connected the database and got the data!

Apparently, it is needed to first try to connect the database as you would do it in Power BI Desktop, so Power Query can connect to the server. Then, you can type the M code in a Blank query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I can't connect to the DB2, so I will try to find another way

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here. Existing dataflows work propertly. "Something went wrong while retrieving details for the on-premises data gateway" error doesn't allow to create new ones.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @S_loke 

If this M code work well in power bi desktop.

and if you could refer to this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/SAP-BW-Dataflows/td-p/636441

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks but it wasn't the underlying issue.  Previously, it was possible to create the dataflows to extract content from SAP BW in an identical process as the post you suggested.

However, it would seem that post gateway update, that the steps now are creating errors.

The confusing issue is that previously created dataflows continue to work suggesting that the mashupengine is still capable of connecting and communicate but is now unable to create new dataflows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors