Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

foxb3692
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to connect to dataset after upgrading workspace

After upgrading the workspace, user's reports maintained in their My Workspace, but based on dataset in the upgraded workspace are unavailable, either in the Power BI Service or from the Desktop.

After the upgrade, the ability to share datasets across workspaces was set to OFF, but I turned it back on in the Tenant Settings of the portal Admin, but after 15 minutes BI says this change may take to propagate through the service users are still unable to access their Reports. I was going to revert back to the Classic Workgroup experience, but found I can't revert back for this reason: Datasets in the workspace are used by reports or dashboards in other workspaces. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/designer/service-upgrade-workspaces)

Users need their Reports for a presentation tommorrow! Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
foxb3692
Helper I
Helper I

It appears what was needed was the passage of time...

After more than 2 hours since switching on Sharing across Workspaces to On, the reports became available from the Power BI Service and the Edit button from the "Unable to Connect" dialog box became available from the Desktop application.

When I enabled sharing a message stateted the change could take upto 15 mintues, but it took considerably more time for the change to make its way through the service.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
foxb3692
Helper I
Helper I

It appears what was needed was the passage of time...

After more than 2 hours since switching on Sharing across Workspaces to On, the reports became available from the Power BI Service and the Edit button from the "Unable to Connect" dialog box became available from the Desktop application.

When I enabled sharing a message stateted the change could take upto 15 mintues, but it took considerably more time for the change to make its way through the service.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @foxb3692 ,

Have you check the following things mentioned on the document?

You should do several things after you upgrade. It's best to plan them before you upgrade:

In addition, please check the document about using datasets across workspaces.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-across-workspaces#considerations-and-limi...

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors