Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

'Unable to connect to data source undefined'

Trying to refresh a dataset from 3 different sources - two are databases within the same server and then one additional server. All have been set up with the gateway I'm using.

I haven't seen the error I'm receiving 'Unable to connect to data source undefined' anywhere online.

Has anyone seen this before? I have tried refreshing a dataset from each of the sources individually with no issues.

29 REPLIES 29
Meiss_DataSci81
Regular Visitor

I had the same issue. In my case the problem were different privacy level settings in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service. Make sure you have the same privacy level security:

In Power BI Desktop:

Options and Settings --> Data Source Settings

For every Datasource: -->  Edit Permissions

Set Privacy Level: e.g. „Organizational“

Power BI Service:

Datasets --> (Choose you Datasets which does not update properly) --> settings --> Gateway Connection --> Actions --> (expand you cluster to show all Data Sources) --> (Choose relevant Datasource) --> Advanced Settings --> Privacy setting --> set same level (e.g. „Organizational) as in Power BI Desktop

That's brilliant, worked for me, thanks very much.

nickelous
Frequent Visitor

I am getting this on one of my reports this morning as well. But the rest of them were successful.

I did update my BI and this newer report was created in the new version. 

Something went wrong
Unable to connect to the data source undefined.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Underlying error code: -2147467259 Table: DATA.
Underlying error message: Microsoft SQL: The server principal "XXXXXXX is not able to access the database "XXXXXX" under the current security context.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Class: 14
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind: SQL
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath: XXXXXXX.net;XXXXXXX
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Message: The server principal "XXXXXXX" is not able to access the database "XXXXXX" under the current security context.
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Number: 916
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason: DataSource.Error
Cluster URI: WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 36b4f496-bcf9-4310-ae37-5bd5ca055ac6
Request ID: 538b9b60-164c-3ac3-d192-812cdeae84c5
Time: 2019-01-25 15:36:08Z

nickelous
Frequent Visitor

I am getting this on one of my reports this morning as well. But the rest of them were successful.

I did update my BI and this newer report was created in the new version. 

Something went wrong
Unable to connect to the data source undefined.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Underlying error code: -2147467259 Table: DATA.
Underlying error message: Microsoft SQL: The server principal "XXXXXXX is not able to access the database "XXXXXX" under the current security context.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Class: 14
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind: SQL
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath: XXXXXXX.net;XXXXXXX
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Message: The server principal "XXXXXXX" is not able to access the database "XXXXXX" under the current security context.
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Number: 916
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason: DataSource.Error
Cluster URI: WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 36b4f496-bcf9-4310-ae37-5bd5ca055ac6
Request ID: 538b9b60-164c-3ac3-d192-812cdeae84c5
Time: 2019-01-25 15:36:08Z

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am struggling with this exact error since mid Dec. Reports ran on scheduled refresh for 6 month and did not change anything

I am glad to hear I am not the only one struggling, though I am sorry you are experiencing this! I updated my version of Power BI yesterday. Today I am going to build a new report from just one data source and see if I get the same error when set on an automatic refresh.

SHOOKANSON
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am receiving this error for all my datasets that I have on a scheduled refresh. Some of them are connected to two data sources, some are only connected to one. But I am getting this same error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I identified the source of the error - I appended two tables from different data sources, and once I'd removed the step which appended the tables the refresh was able to go ahead.

Does anyone know the technical explanation as to why this occurs?

@Anonymous,

What's type of the third additional data source? Does this issue also happens in power bi desktop? If this issue only happens in power bi service, please check if there's something wrong with the schedule refresh configuration and credentials.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors