Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

harikishant
Helper II
Helper II

Unable to connect to SSAS Tabular from Service

Power BI desktop connect well to the Azure Analysis service but not from Power BI Service. Below are the error details-

Couldn't load the schema for the database model
Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 07c4ed63-e88b-4565-b9bc-71d9ea5589f9
Request ID: 08b6f607-6617-b167-6d84-9d78b3c7144a
Correlation ID: 0486b5d7-5ae5-273e-1fbb-4f8bae997be4
Time: Tue Oct 23 2018 17:35:08 GMT+1100 (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)
Version: 13.0.7055.182
Cluster URI: https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Can anyone of you please let me know the resolution.

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is you SSAS hosted in the Azure cloud?  When you click on the elipse next to the dataset in the Power BI Service, do you see this:

Capture.PNG 

If your SSAS is inside your network, have you set up an On-Premise data gateway and created a Data Source in Manage Gateways for the Analysis Services?

Thanks Ross for responding quickly. The SSAS is hosted in cloud but when I follow your process and click on the elipse I see a slightly different one - 

Capture.PNG

I've also tried to click explore the option of "Analyze in Excel" and when I clicked on the option, a excel workbook was downloaded. When I opened the workbook, it prompted for the credentials to connect to Azure and when I'm done I was able to connect to the Tabular model without any issues.

Kindly let me know if you need further information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you connected to your SSAS, did you do so as a live connection or as an Import?

I have connected to SSAS cloud instance as a live connection. Below is the screenshot from the PBI desktop

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great. Live connection are how mine are as well.  I'm super curious to see what the left hand menu's pop up looks like.

Sorry Ross. Even after moving my head around the screen several times I couldn't find the Dataset option that you are looking for.  Can you send me a screenshot of where can i find the option? 

Addition info: I learned that the SSAS Azure account domain is different from the Power BI account domain. For example, my azure account is configured with hari@abc.com but my PowerBI service is hari@xyz.com. But both these domain go well when I'm accessing applications in the intranet. 

This might be a reason where the cloud expects the same domain to grant access permissions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You might be correct about the different domain being the reason.  Its not a hurdle i've had to jump over.

As for the menu section i'm talking about. Its the far left menu:

Capture.PNG

Ohh ok. Here is the screen print of the same. 

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok fantastic.  Now that thats done.  Next we need to check whether you have create a Role within the Schema that will accept your connection.  This works a lot like Row Level Security in Power BI, but is done within the Analysis Services model.  You need at least 1 role and then you need to include the names or security groups of people.  You can use the same ones as your App access, or workspace access.

I had some issues within my Visual Studio project connecting to my Active Directory to search for people.  The solution to that issue was to select "Integrated Workspace Model" as true.  This property was found under "Solution Explorer" -> Model.Bim

Great!! I've already configured SSAS in integration mode.

I tried to add the O365 user into a role from "Find Users" tab and I found the same user profile that of PowerBI service account.

Capture.PNG

But when I deploy to the cloud. I get this error. Does it prove us a problem with O365 account?

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is a little more straight forward as i'm only dealing with data within a single account domain.  In an earlier post you had mentioned you had 2 different account domains.  Do you get a different result if you try the "Add External" button instead of find users?

Yes Ross. I tried to add it using the option and the deployment was successful. But the issue remains the same where the Power BI service is unable to access the cloud SSAS. Do you want me to try out with anyother options to prove it is aproblem with O365?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Might be worth putting a ticket into Microsoft about it.  I'd be pretty convinced you are close to the issue now.

Thanks a lot Ross for your patience and support. 

Hi guys!

Have you found any solution?

Regards,

Robson.

I have connected to SSAS cloud instance as a live connection. Below is the screenshot from the PBI desktop

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just checked my menu from the same screen and its the same as yours.  My screenshot was from the Left Hand menu, under the DATASETS section.  There is a slightly different menu if you click the ... option there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors