Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to connect to Power BI Datasets

Hello,

We'd like to let some key users leverage data by publishing Power BI Datasets that others could consume.

The problem is that the users that want to consume those datasets get an error message when trying to connect to the Power BI Datasets because they don't have the rights to "Export Data" from the Power BI Service. (this setting is only enabled for specific security groups: IT, Finance & the Corporate Reporting team)

This right we don't want to grant them because otherwise it would allow them to scrap the .pbix files that are published on the platform and create their own versions of some corporate reports.

Is there a way to allow the consumption of Power BI Datasets without allowing the download of .pbix files?

See screenshots to illustrate.

2020-05-26 14_53_49-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

2020-05-26 14_54_25-Power BI and 12 more pages - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.png

2020-05-26 14_56_06-FLEX Codes Management - Power BI and 12 more pages - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.png

THanks in advance for your help,

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @Anonymous 

When you disable the export data, you could not live connection to dataset in power bi desktop any more. But you could create the report use this dataset in power bi service, the difference is that you could not create measure and use theme in the new report.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

I guess you could build a report on this dataset and only allow your end-user to use this file. So they wont be able to download this as .pbix.

But than the must build this report in Power BI Service ...I don't know If this is really comfortable?

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @KBO ,

Thanks for the suggestion it could work if we only have a small number of datasets but in this case we want to let the key users be autonomous with how many datasets they publish and to whom they share them.

Some datasets will have a SSAS Cube as source, some will have an excel spreadsheet others will have CSV or web-scrapping sources. We want to let those key users deal with the complexity of getting data to a clean dataset and then let them share that cleaned-up dataset with other colleagues. 

At some point we'd like to certify some of those datasets as explained here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-certify

What does not make much sense is the message the End Users get when they try to connect to a Dataset that was published by our Key Users:

2020-05-26 17_03_05-Clipboard.png

So if I summarize, if you want to enforce some level of governance by allowing some users to publish re-usable datasets to a broader audience, you have to allow the broader audience to "Export Data" hence using the "Download .pbix file" hence taking the risk of creating alternative data silos in the organization.

It would be much better to remove that requirement to enable "Export Data" so we can use Datasets WHILE preventing our users from downloading the .pbix sources at the same time.

Or maybe there's something I don't get? But at first sight it seems contradictory : "you want reusability of datasets? Ok but sacrifice governance then."

Best,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors