Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sfog
Advocate II
Advocate II

Unable to combine data references - may not directly access a data source

Hi

When I try to refresh my query in the Power BI service, I get this error. It works on the PBI desktop.

I have seen numerous posts and believe I worked through all - but none were specific to my problem.

I applied the approach of splitting the queries as per the "Excel Guru's guide (by Ken Puls).

I also applied the 'relativepath' concept as per some other well documented blogs.

This works well for all other Webservice calls we make - except in this case below.

Can anyone suggest how I could change the query below to avoid the refresh error in the PBI Service. I believe I need to separate the external datasource call (URL-bit) from the query that returns the token - but not sure how to do that if the external call needs the token?

**Note: ‘GetAccessToken’ returns an oauth authorisation bearer token. This cannot be hard coded as it expires every 15 minutes.

let

AccessTokenHeader = GetAccessToken,                                                            

GetJsonQuery = Web.Contents("https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.cloud/",

[

RelativePath="api/2.0/alarms?page=0&size=1000&sort=timestamp_occured,desc",

Headers = [Authorization=AccessTokenHeader]

]

)

in

#"GetJsonQuery"

**Note:

I can solve the error if I remove the query "AccessTokenHeader = GetAccessToken" and hard code the OAUTH access token - but the problem is, the token expires every 15 minutes so I need to generate a new token whenever I refresh the data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sfog
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi

This is solved.

When I bring the code back into the query, as opposed to calling another query to generate the token, the problem goes away.

Regards 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sfog
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi

This is solved.

When I bring the code back into the query, as opposed to calling another query to generate the token, the problem goes away.

Regards 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sfog  , I'm having the same issue. Please can you help me and show me how you organized your code?
I use this 2 queries but I don't know how to combine them in 1.

Token:
let
ContentValue = "username="&User&"&password="&Password&"&grant_type=password&scope="&Scope,
GetJson = Web.Contents(#"ADFS Endpoint",
[
Headers = [#"Accept"="application/json",
#"Content-Type"="application/x-www-form-urlencoded;charset=UTF-8"],
Content = Text.ToBinary(ContentValue),
RelativePath= #"ADFS RelativePath"
]
),
FormatAsJson = Json.Document(GetJson),
#"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(FormatAsJson),
access_token = #"Converted to Table"{0}[Value]
in
    access_token
Data:

let
Source = Web.Contents(#"Jira Environment" , [Headers=[#"Content-Type"="application/json", Authorization="Bearer "& Token, Referer= User], RelativePath = #"API" & "?links=overview&rows=1000&filter="& #"Filter"]),
Result = Json.Document(Source),
    foundIssues = Result[foundIssues],
    issues = foundIssues[issues],
    #"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(issues)
in
  #"Converted to Table"

Hi @sfog ,

Glad you have solved the problem. You could accept your answer as solution so that we can close the thread.  More people will benifit from here.  

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors