Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alirezam
Helper V
Helper V

Unable to combince the csv (Binary) files in DataFlow

Hi

I don't have any issue combining multiple csv files in Power Bi query editor. However, when I try to do the same process in 'DataFlow' I receive a Mashup text error and the following message. Anyone knows what is the alternative way of combining the files without using 'Content [Binary]' which also ends up with some "transform files"?

Thanks

Capture.PNG 

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I try to merge the binary format, I receive this problem.

Chris_poweruser_1-1661626452891.png

ChrisPowerUser

Do somone solved this problem ?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There is a rather large difference between ingesting data from XML files and from csv files.  For CSV files you can use the built-in table column expansion, but for XML you need to write a separate parser function that can return a table.

I would recommend you practice on your PC with a couple of CSV files  (using the binary combine) to see which code Power Query autogenerates. Then, once you have understood it, you can move on to cut out all the extra code as I described above.  Only after that should you try and add the XML parsing.

If you would like help with that last part please provide a handful of sample XML files and indicate your desired output.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

These don't look like CSV files.

Usually you use Table.AddColumn () and then manually expand them.  Best if you have a static list of columns available so you don't have to read the first file twice (like the standard Power Query combine process does).

Hi thanks, you are right that was a mistake, the files are .xml but does not make any difference still having the same issue. Where should I find " Table.AddColumn () " ? this does not appear in my query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors