Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to add datasource to Gateway Cluster

Hi,

I am trying to add an SQLServer database to my gateway cluster as new data source. But I am getting an error (details given below) 

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."
Status code:	400
Error Code:	DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode
There was an error in the data gateway.
Underlying error message:	Error occurred while decoding OAEP padding.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:	-2146233296

In the same server instance, there are other databases and earlier I have added them without any issue. Now when I tried to add a new database as a new data source, I am getting the error mentioned above. 

I have tested the gateway and all the data sources in that and everything is working fine. One additional information is that I tried to test the issue whether it is related to the specific database I am trying to connect or not by trying to add a database that is already configured as a data source and is working fine, but it turns out that, I am not able to add any database newly - even the ones that are already working fine.

I searched the internet and could not find any helpful links to solve this.  The server is online, the gateway is working fine, I have administrator access to the server, the databases, the on-premise gateway that is running on the server, and the credentials are correct, server IP address, port numbers are correct.  Not able even replicate an already working data source, the reports that are relying on the data sources that are already configured are refreshing automatically without any issue.

Please help

12 REPLIES 12
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Sign in the gateway account again and make sure the account is the user you used for registration of on-premise gateway to PowerBI and O365 portal.

I'm sorry for that,I am also trying my best to find some possible reasons, there's no clear reason for this error, it needs to be investigated.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

You need to check if your gateway is the latest version.

Can other types other than database type data sources be added to the gateway?

Are the gateway and data source installed on the same machine?

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-janeyg-msft 

My gateway is the latest version.

It is installed on the server that has SQL server is installed.

I don't have any other data sources that connect through this gateway other than the SQL Server database.

Hi, @Anonymous 

Can you try to connect to other types of data sources?To troubleshoot the problem of the data source or the gateway.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-janeyg-msft ,

I tried to connect to a folder in the same computer where the gateway is installed. I am not able to do so successfully. It throwing the same error.

Hi, @Anonymous 

Try to restart the gateway,and test network posts.Try to use Https mode instead of TCP.

5.png6.png4.png

And check it:

• Gateways aren't supported on Server Core installations.
  • The user installing the gateway must be the admin of the gateway.
  • The gateway can't be installed on a domain controller.
  • If you're planning to use Windows authentication, make sure you install the gateway on a computer that's a member of the same Active Directory environment as the data sources.
  • Don't install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. The gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.
  • If a gateway uses a wireless network, its performance might suffer.
  • You could install other applications on the gateway machine, but this may degrade gateway performance. If you do install other applications on the gateway machine, be sure to monitor the gateway closely to check if there's any resource contention.
  • You can install up to two gateways on a single computer: one running in personal mode and the other running in standard mode. You can't have more than one gateway running in the same mode on the same computer.

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-janeyg-msft 

Gateways aren't supported on Server Core installations.
I don't know what is meant by "Server Core Installation". But the gateway is running fine and all the data sources that have been configured earlier are working fine and I am able to schedule refresh frequency. So I assume this is not an issue.

The user installing the gateway must be the admin of the gateway.

This is true in this case.

The gateway can't be installed on a domain controller.

The gateway is not installed on the domain controller. So this is not an issue.

If you're planning to use Windows authentication, make sure you install the gateway on a computer that's a member of the same Active Directory environment as the data sources.

No. We use database authentication using a username and password.  But one of the data sources that is configured earlier which is working fine is of type "Folder" which is fetching the contents of a folder on the computer on which the gateway is installed. That is also working okay.

Don't install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. The gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.

No. The gateway is installed on the server which is always on.

If a gateway uses a wireless network, its performance might suffer.

The gateway and the computer it is installed is using a wired network connection.

You could install other applications on the gateway machine, but this may degrade gateway performance. If you do install other applications on the gateway machine, be sure to monitor the gateway closely to check if there's any resource contention.

There are other applications installed on the system on which the gateway is installed. For instance, the SQL Server installation is on the same machine as gateway's. But there is no performance degradation and as mentioned earlier, all the data sources configured are working fine. The only problem is that no new data sources could be configured due to the error stated in my first post.

You can install up to two gateways on a single computer: one running in personal mode and the other running in standard mode. You can't have more than one gateway running in the same mode on the same computer.

There is only one gateway installed and that is on standard mode.

Given below is the screenshot of the error. I have masked the gateway name. Please look into and help me to solve the issue.

gateway error.png

Hi, @Anonymous 

Check: IT/Firewall blocker , they likely need to allow the gateway to connect!

reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-tshoot#firewall-or-proxy 

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Firewall blockage is not the issue. As informed earlier, the gateway has access to the internet, data sources, and using this gateway, existing reports are refreshing automatically using scheduled refresh.

Moreover, I just run the network test once again. It has succeeded. Test results are given below...

General Information
Service Bus Namespace : WABI-INDIA-WEST-relay33.servicebus.windows.net
Host Name : ns-sb2-prod-bm1-001.cloudapp.net
Host IP Address : 104.211.160.121
Overall Results : 8/8 tests succeeded.

Note: If one or more tests failed, contact your network administrator to open the ports for the required servers.

Summary:
Server Name: IP Address: Test Results:
g0-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net 104.211.183.181 Success
g1-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net 104.211.181.109 Success
g2-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net 104.211.178.184 Success
g3-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net 104.211.182.66 Success
g4-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net 104.211.181.234 Success
g5-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net 104.211.176.234 Success
g6-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net 104.211.181.164 Success
g7-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net 104.211.182.205 Success

Detailed Results
Server Name: g0-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net IP Address: 104.211.183.181

Port: Status: Proxy Uri:
443 Open N/A

Server Name: g1-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net IP Address: 104.211.181.109

443 Open N/A

Server Name: g2-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net IP Address: 104.211.178.184

443 Open N/A

Server Name: g3-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net IP Address: 104.211.182.66

443 Open N/A

Server Name: g4-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net IP Address: 104.211.181.234

443 Open N/A

Server Name: g5-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net IP Address: 104.211.176.234

443 Open N/A

Server Name: g6-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net IP Address: 104.211.181.164

443 Open N/A

Server Name: g7-prod-bm1-001-sb.servicebus.windows.net IP Address: 104.211.182.205

443 Open N/A

Hi, @Anonymous 

I'm sorry.It's so strange. Is it possible that the organization manager has disabled the function of adding data sources to this gateway?

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not possible. I am the Power BI admin and all the Power BI settings including user creations are handled by me. I have not changed any such settings and don't even know where to disable the addition of data sources to the gateway. If you can tell me the menu path where I can find that setting, I can go and check.

But anyway, if that is the case, then the error will show some message related to that. But nothing of that sort is mentioned in the error.

The following image shows the error.

gateway error.png

Can you please look up the details of the error code/message and find out what causes that error mentioned in the screenshot above? Whatever suggestions you have given till now seems like general things. Nothing is specific to the error message. Can you check in that direction?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have already performed the following...

1) Restarting the gateway.

2) Perform network port tests.

3) My gateway is already using HTTPS mode.

No issues here.

I will verify the other points and come back to you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors