Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ErikBe
Frequent Visitor

Unable to add content to workspace

Dear Community, 

I am part of several Microsoft Teams and all of these teams have a workspace on app.powerbi.com. 

In all but one of the teams , which happens to be the first I joined, I cannot add content to the workspace because the "new" button is missing. 

I figure this has something to do with the permission because when I look at privacy settings for this particular workspace, it says:

"members can only view PowerBi content".

On all other workspaces it says: 

Members can edit PowerBi content

Hence, my questions is: where do I alter these setting? Neither me or my IT team (who are not used to working with app.powerbi.com) can find where.

best regards,

Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @ErikBe  ,

There will be an access on the list of workspaces, where you can change the permissions:

v-yangliu-msft_0-1608253351046.png

Then you can add security groups, distribution lists, Microsoft 365 groups, or individuals to these workspaces as administrators, members, contributors, or viewers

v-yangliu-msft_1-1608253351053.png

But roles have limitations:

Anyone with the administrator role can add other people to different roles to grant other people access to the workspace

The creator of the workspace is an automatic administrator. Members can add members or others with lower permissions,

But the other two roles, contributor and viewer, cannot add people. Contributor can create, edit and delete content in the workspace, while viewer can only view content

This is the link of related content, I hope it can help you:

New workspace:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-the-new-workspaces

Workspace role permissions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-...

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ErikBe
Frequent Visitor

Dear @v-yangliu-msft 

Thank you for your help. I can verify that you instructions worked perfectly.

Best regards,

Erik

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @ErikBe  ,

There will be an access on the list of workspaces, where you can change the permissions:

v-yangliu-msft_0-1608253351046.png

Then you can add security groups, distribution lists, Microsoft 365 groups, or individuals to these workspaces as administrators, members, contributors, or viewers

v-yangliu-msft_1-1608253351053.png

But roles have limitations:

Anyone with the administrator role can add other people to different roles to grant other people access to the workspace

The creator of the workspace is an automatic administrator. Members can add members or others with lower permissions,

But the other two roles, contributor and viewer, cannot add people. Contributor can create, edit and delete content in the workspace, while viewer can only view content

This is the link of related content, I hope it can help you:

New workspace:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-the-new-workspaces

Workspace role permissions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-...

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors