Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to add any datasource to On Prem Gateway: 'Unable to connect to datasource undefined", 400

Hi all, 

Hoping anybody has additional solutions I can try to fix the problem below:

I'm trying to set up an on prem gateway for a client. However, after lots of hours troubleshooting I am still unable to get it to work for any type of datasource> getting error message below across the board. I have of course read through similar threads on the community, but the underlying error message was never equal and the proposed solutions have not had any effect.

We would mostly use gateway for SQL database and a Web source for Jira API which needs to go via gateway to circumvent an additional verification step implemented by the client, but I have tested mostly on a simple, local excel file to narrow down the issue. However, as mentioned, error message is the same for all sources.

Already tried/verified: 

- Keeping privacy levels equal in desktop and service.

- Checking for issues with gateway in service and in gateway app, but no errors. 

- Service account has been changed to admin user on server.

Although it always might be a credentials/logon issue, I would expect that at least the underlying error message would indicate that (which was the case in other threads). 

I've tried diving into the logs from the Gateway App but with my limited knowledge I've not found any obvious explanation to the issue. 

KoenKn_0-1613506404706.png

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@Anonymous,

This type of error can be caused by several different reasons,  we hope that you have updated your gateway to the latest version.

Please confirm if your infrastructure includes different domain / clusters, also check whether they are using HostName for Server. I have found an issue that may be similar to your situation.

For more information,you can refer to this:

https://www.pbiusergroup.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=1c6243d9-1bb0-48e4-aa42-56a109b7f5c5&CommunityKey=b35c8468-2fd8-4e1a-8429-322c39fe7110&tab=digestviewer 

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

From your message it appears that you are going cross domains. If this is the case that could explain why you are getting the error?

Unless you have got cross domain trusts it would need to all sit in the same domain.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you confirm that you have allowed your gateway to connect to cloud data sources?

GilbertQ_0-1613512144262.png

From the error it appears that it cannot complete the evaluation of the data source. If you can increase the timeout when connecting to the underlying data sources.

Another way to troubleshoot, which might take some time is to split the data sources and see which one fails. That will allow you to resolve that particular data source?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @GilbertQ , 

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I have indeed allowed the gateway to connect with cloud data sources. 

To narrow down the issue with the gateway, I am just trying to connect to a dataset which only contains a small excel file (50 rows). I think this already cancels out the time-out issue? Also for the other datasources (web, sql) I tried to connect to them seperately but the same error is returned. 

Do you /someone else has knowledge if the following could be an issue?

- Service account is inside the <domain logon>, but the <machine domain> is different. 

- The client has two step verification (with sms) for many services, so after the credentials you need to insert a code you receive via SMS. This wouldn't explain why I can''t connect to a local file but I'm wondering how it affects e.g. sharepoint source. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors