Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to access reports on PBI Service

We are working on configuring power bi gateway for accessing SSAS tabular live datasource via PBI Service, but having issues with authentication. We followed a vblog on how to work around this and the suggestion was to map the PBI user to local Active Directory. We created a VM to test this but having AD and SQL server together on the same VM does not seem to be supported.

Would anyone be able to assist with how this configuration was set up to enable access to PBI reports?

6 REPLIES 6
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is this problem solved?

If it is solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If not, please let me know.

Best Regards
Icey

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To get the SSAS live connection working in our Azure VM environment, the setup need to meet the following requirements:

1. The Azure VM has to be in an Active Directory Domain.
  2. A windows account need to be created in the Active Directory for each Power BI services user.
  3. The UPN of the Power BI user account need to be mapped to the UPN of the windows account.
  4. The windows account need to be added into the appropriate Analysis Service role.

You can refer to these articles:

Setup an Azure Dev VM for Testing Power BI + SQL Server 2016 Integration

Manage your data source - Analysis Services

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

In order for this to work you need to have an account on your On-Premise AD that will be assigned to the Security Role in your SSAS Tabular Server (This allows that user to have FULL admin access)

Then when configuring the Gateway, you use this same AD Account when creating the data source.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ  Thanks for your response. But as I mentioned in my original post, we are running into issues while trying to install AD on a VM that has SQL server on-prem. Do you know if this is even feasible since Microfoft recommends against having AD and SQL server on same VM

Hi there

I would honestly listen to the best practice advice and install them on separate VM's

I have found you can save a lot of time and potential issues trying to do it in another way.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ  Thanks! you mentioned "I would honestly listen to the best practice advice and install them on separate VM's"

Is there any documentation that you recommend on install them opn separate VMs?

What components go on what VM and how would they relate to each othet? Any insights would help!

Thanks

Shilpa

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors