Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Unable to access other users' workspaces as Admin?

Is there really no way for the PBI Admin to see other user's workspaces?

I can go to the admin portal and see all the workspaces, but I can't acctually access them nor see who owns them???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@OneWithQuestion 
Personal workspaces are of type PersonalGroup, classic workspaces are of type Group, and the new workspace experience workspaces are of type Workspace. The limitation is you can only edit the access permission with new workspace(Type workspace). For PersonalGroup and Group type, you only can see the details. 

You could submit an idea here for your thoughts.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@OneWithQuestion 

Service admin only has the manage permission, you cannot access the content of each workspace. 

If you want to do so, you could select a workspace in the admin portal to edit the access permission, and add your account to the workspace role. 

workspaces.JPG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Okay, that's the issue then.

I'm the Power BI Admin, but that is NOT sufficient to control the workspaces?  

I can't adjust access to the other workspaces in the list that I don't directly own. 

How can I adjust the access to those?

OneWithQuestion_0-1596733021113.png

Do I need to have additional permissions for my account?

OneWithQuestion_0-1596733127604.png

@OneWithQuestion 
Personal workspaces are of type PersonalGroup, classic workspaces are of type Group, and the new workspace experience workspaces are of type Workspace. The limitation is you can only edit the access permission with new workspace(Type workspace). For PersonalGroup and Group type, you only can see the details. 

You could submit an idea here for your thoughts.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@OneWithQuestion - Well, yes and no. Think of personal workspaces like the old "my site" in SharePoint. It is designed to be someone's personal space. But, you can "take it over" essentially, sort of. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Taking-over-someones-workspace-after-they-leave/td-p/805643

You may find some options here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

It looks like in the referenced link (thank you BTW) the only option there was to take over the actual user's account by getting their password reset.

There must be some way to access workspaces and dashboards in PBI other than taking over the actual user account that created them??

@OneWithQuestion - Well, I am not aware of it if there is one. Here's something to think about. Go to your personal workspace in Power BI. See any way of giving someone else access to your workspace? I do not.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors