Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

apt108
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unable to Publish reports to particular Workspaces

We have two workspaces (lets say WS1 and WS2).  We keep our datasets in WS1 and reports (based on these datasets) in WS2.  This was fine until recently, where I tried to update and re-publish a report to WS2, but Power BI Desktop now only gives me WS1 as an option when I go to publish.

As far as I'm aware nothing significant has changed.  Any ideas, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @apt108 ,

How do you keep datasets in WS1 and reports in WS2? Connecting datasets on Power BI Service with Power BI Desktop? Or using datasets across workspaces?

If you are connectiong datasets on Power BI Service, you may take a look at the considerations-and-limitations .

If you are using datasets across workspaces, please check whether the "Use datasets across workspace" in tenant setting was turn off. If you turn off this setting, here are the effects on report creators:

• The button to copy reports across workspaces isn't available.
  • In a report based on a shared dataset, the Edit report button isn't available.
  • In the Power BI service, the discovery experience only shows datasets in the current workspace.
  • In Power BI Desktop, the discovery experience only shows datasets from workspaces where you're a member.
  • In Power BI Desktop, if users open a .pbix file with a live connection to a dataset outside any workspaces they are a member of, they see an error message asking them to connect to a different dataset.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-admin-across-workspaces 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @apt108 ,

How do you keep datasets in WS1 and reports in WS2? Connecting datasets on Power BI Service with Power BI Desktop? Or using datasets across workspaces?

If you are connectiong datasets on Power BI Service, you may take a look at the considerations-and-limitations .

If you are using datasets across workspaces, please check whether the "Use datasets across workspace" in tenant setting was turn off. If you turn off this setting, here are the effects on report creators:

• The button to copy reports across workspaces isn't available.
  • In a report based on a shared dataset, the Edit report button isn't available.
  • In the Power BI service, the discovery experience only shows datasets in the current workspace.
  • In Power BI Desktop, the discovery experience only shows datasets from workspaces where you're a member.
  • In Power BI Desktop, if users open a .pbix file with a live connection to a dataset outside any workspaces they are a member of, they see an error message asking them to connect to a different dataset.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-admin-across-workspaces 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Many thanks Jay, it seems that (unbeknown to me) the "Use datasets across workspace" had been turned off.  It's a shame users like me don't have visibility of this setting as it has a direct effect on my work.

Thanks again

Andy

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @apt 

It looks like this account you're using on Power BI desktop is not a member of WS2. If you log in to Power BI service with the same account, take a look at the Workspaces that account has access to, it's probably just WS1 not WS2. If you do see WS1 and WS2 it's probable that the account is just a "Viewer" of WS2. In either case you'll need to find the Admin of WS2 and get them to add the account as a "Member" or "Contributor" of the workspace.

Alternatively, the Power BI admin can  manage the Workspace access and add the account back in, if you can't find the admin of the workspace, or if you were the admin of the workspace.

Hope this helps

Stuart 

Many thanks Stewart, but I've already checked that.  I'm an Admin of both WS1 and WS2!

This arrangement was working fine until recently, so I'm looking for ideas of what might have changed.

Any other ideas?

Andy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors