Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DeepthiArikatla

Unable to Pin Live pages to Dashboard / Pin visuals to Dashboard not retaining formats

Hi,

I have 2 issues with pinning live pages and pinning visuals to Dashboard on Power BI Online.

Issue 1 - Pin Live Page

I have added some features (new and old) to an existing report such as removing the "Line" from a trend chart and using Markers only to compare 2 measures on a chart, adding an image as a page back ground, setting up some actions on a image to flip between page views etc.

Overwrote the report to Power BI online, so far so good.

A dashboard which had a live page from this report pinned to it also refreshed fine after publishing the report.

I decided to pin another live page to the Dashboard , and now I am unable to pin live pages of the report to a Dashboard.

Created a new dashboard and tried didn't work.

I found this TIP  here : "Some visualizations use background images. Pinning may not work if the background image is too large. Try reducing the image size or using image compression" 

So I removed the background images completely from the report and republished it to PBI Online, yet no luck - pin live page just won't work.

Just to recreate the issue cooked up a bare minimum report and to my surprise the Live page pinning works fine with this dummy report.

Issue 2 - Pin visuals

The other issue is when I try to pin visuals instead of live pages to a dashboard it pops up with the option to choose which DB to pin to, however the formatting is all gone, I don't get the tile theming options as shown in the picture below found on the same URL as above,

Pin to dashboard window

Has anyone encountered this, any suggestions what may be causing this please.

Any help is really appreciated !

NOTE:

I am the latest May Release version of PBI Desktop. Though not sure if this has anything to do with the issue.

Thank you,

Deepthi

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no actions in my reports. Just plain, simple visuals, and synced slicers on a seperate page. No backgrounds, themes etc...

What was weird was that I could still pin the individual visuals, just not the whole page. The button was there, not "greyed out" or anything.

Well, I gave up on finding a solution. Scrapped the report and it's data set and created a new one looking the same, and published it. Now it works, at least for that report.

Would love to know what causes this behaviour though. Not only to be able to avoid it in the future, but also to be prepared for when others in our organization stumble across the same issue, which I'm sure will happen sooner or later.

/Z

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DeepthiArikatla

I'm experiencing the same issue with trying to pin live pages. These issues started yesterday. It seems like I can only pin some pages from my reports all of a sudden. Pages that I have pinned before can no lnger be pinned though. Have tried clearing cache and also let some colleagues try pinning them, as they are located in a Premium WS whese others are also admins. Still no luck. Abolutely nothing happens when pressing "Pin live page". No error msg, nothing! Also tried publishing to "My workspace" (Not on premium) but it doesn't work from there either.

In my reports I have 1 page with synced filters/slicers, that are connected to the rest of the pages in each report respectively. From each report I want to pin only ONE page to a dashboard. Yesterday everything went fine with my first 2 reports, but by the time I finished my 3rd one the "pin live page" stopped working. Today it still doesn't work.

However, from each report I seem to be able to pin the filters/slicers page, but none of the others where my visuals are located.

Extremely frustrating issue, especially since there's not even an error msg displayed.

let me know if you find/found a solution to this.

Hi @Anonymous,

I didn't find a solution to it yet but agree with you, its frustrating when no error is displayed or nothing happens at all.

By the way the same happens to me too looks like I can only pin some pages from my reports,, did you also recently update your PBI Desktop atleast I did only yesterday. Make me think if it has anything to with the latest release.

How I worked around it is by undoing the updates/changes on a copy of the original report one by one and when I have removed the feature of toggling slicers based on the bookmarks action set on a image the pin live pages was back on the page of the report that wasn't working.

I am guessing when there are actions linked to page views, the live page is unable to deduce which view to use to pin to the dashboard. Do you have any action included in your reports ?

Not sure if there is a way to select which view of the page to pin.

I ll keep you posted if I can find any more info.

Thanks,

Deepthi

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DeepthiArikatla,

I was not able to reproduce your problem on my side.

Issue 1 Pin Live Page

Clear the cache of report in desktop and re-publish it to service and try again.

Swith to a different web browser for a test.

Issue 2 Pin visuals

As mentioned in above link, the "Tile Theming" option will be available when the item have a theme already applied. Otherwise, this option is invisiable.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Yuliana @v-yulgu-msft for looking into this.

Issue 1 Pin Live Page

Tried  your suggestions cleared the cache and republished the original report and also used a different browser still no luck. 

Issue 2 Pin visuals

Ofcourse themes had to be used, I feel so stupid 🙂 Thanks for this.

What I noticed is , when I use certain formatting like a background / different font size color etc for some visualisations example a Card it won't come on a Dashboard , but for other visulisations like pie/bar charts formatting like colors of the bars in a chart fonts etc are intact. Not sure if this is the expected beahviour on Dashboards ?

Thanks,

Deepthi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors