Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to Changes in Report and Dataset after publishing from Power BI desktop

I created a report in power BI desktop with csv as data source. I successfully published it to Power BI Service. I did some changes in the report again (added new query and new page). I successfully published again. Unfortunately, when i connect to Power Bi service, I cannot see the additional query in the data set nor I could see the additional page. I published quiet a few times with success status but the situation remained the same at services end.
I cleared the cache of the browser a few times but of no use.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The change is instantaneous and the caching issue you had suspected is about the only symptom you really need to worry about.  Closing the browser tab is often enough.

Next thing to check:  What username has been logged into Power BI Desktop.  What Username is logged into Power BI Service?  Are they definately the same?

I'm wondering if you published an old version to the username you are currently logged into but then you have logged into a different account with the Power BI desktop and all future versions have gone there.  This might also explain the permissions issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double check that your subsequent publishes have gone to the same workspace as the report you are checking in the Service.

For example you might have a workspace called "Company Reports" where you published this the first time.

When you opened the file on your desktop at a later point in time, when you clicked publish it would have defaulted to your "My Workspace" and its possible you published into there without realising it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No,its the same workspace. 1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok great.  So after closing the browser tab and navigating back into Power BI, the report is unchanged in your My Workspace?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even i tried using the link after publishing the report,  could see the permission error.

To my surprise i am the owner of the report as i created with my user and connected with same user on Power BI service. i shoud not get this message of permission. Any suggestions against this could also be useful. In fact i did not change any permission in the report. 

4.jpg5.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

The change is instantaneous and the caching issue you had suspected is about the only symptom you really need to worry about.  Closing the browser tab is often enough.

Next thing to check:  What username has been logged into Power BI Desktop.  What Username is logged into Power BI Service?  Are they definately the same?

I'm wondering if you published an old version to the username you are currently logged into but then you have logged into a different account with the Power BI desktop and all future versions have gone there.  This might also explain the permissions issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The user is same.

To my surprise, i logged out from the Desktop and Service. I logged in with same user and again published.

It was successful. 

Thanks for your prompt answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it remained unchanged.  Infact i waited for 4-5 hrs and tried again tiday morning. Situation is same. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors