cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

USERNAME() returning weird e-mail format

I'm using USERNAME() to check against a security table for Row Level Security (RLS) based on the user.  

For one of the users, I'm getting a weird e-mail format returned:  live.com#john.doe@outlook.com

Didn't figure this out until I explicitly put USERNAME() in a card on the report to see what was being used.

Has anyone seen that?  Is this going to happen for all users that have outlook.com e-mail addresses?  

Using the "live.com#john.doe@outlook.com" in my look up table doesn't work, so I'm thinking I have to filter out any text before a # in an e-mail address to correct for this weird behavior.  Any insights to this would help me with configuring my access table for others.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Thanks for the tip on using gmail.  I was able to test with the "live.com#john.doe@gmail.com".

USERPRINCIPALNAME() returns the same "live.com#john.doe@gmail.com" as USERNAME().  I saw some online documentation saying the same, that USERNAME() behaves differently on the PowerBI Service than on Desktop, but is the same as USERPRINCIPALNAME().

It looks like my table entry of "live.com#john.doe@gmail.com" does work though, so that is a workaround if needed, but very clunky.  So what I did was strip that Azure prefix out before the compare to get it to work.  Here's the code I use to limit the Country view:

[Reseller_Country] =
   LOOKUPVALUE(
      ReportUsers[Country],
         ReportUsers[Microsoft Account],
         MID(USERNAME(),
         FIND ("#", USERNAME(), 1,0) + 1,
         LEN (USERNAME())- FIND("#", USERNAME(), 1,0)
         ),
         ReportUsers[Country],
         [Reseller_Country]
      )

Now I don't have to worry about any random prefixes being added to the username e-mail address by Azure.  Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I guess you can't put e-mails into the message body.  I just posted a reply that disappeared.  Sucks.

So basically, I've determined there are 3 different e-mail formats that get return: 1) regular, 2) live.com# prefix, and 3) abc_workmail.com#EXT#(at)onmail.mail.com

It's a pain to figure out which one is going to show up, so I decided to just fix the e-mail back to regular and not have to mess with the special characters inserted.  Here's an example of my formula used in the RLS role:

[Region] =
VAR findpound = FIND("#", USERPRINCIPALNAME(), 1, 0)
VAR CleanUserName = MID(USERPRINCIPALNAME(),
    FIND ("#", USERPRINCIPALNAME(), 1, 0) + 1,
          LEN (USERPRINCIPALNAME()) - findpound)
VAR CleanedUserName = IF(LEFT(CleanUserName,4)="EXT#",
    SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(USERPRINCIPALNAME(),
         findpound-1), "_","@"),CleanUserName)
RETURN
LOOKUPVALUE(
   Region[Region],
   Region[Country],
   LOOKUPVALUE(
      ReportUsers[Country],
      ReportUsers[Account],
      CleanedUserName),
   Region[Region],
   [Region]
)

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi there

The reason that it appears that way is because that is how the display name is stored in Azure Active Directory.

I would suggest changing it to USERPRINCIPALNAME() which is for the Power BI Service.
USERNAME() is for when you are inside a domain.

And finally in your lookup table store just the email address john.doe@outlook.com it will correctly resolve it with the USERPRINCIPALNAME() lookup

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Highlighted

Thanks, I'll try USERPRINCIPALNAME() and see if that works.  Need the user with that e-mail to verify.  Looks like you can't emulate it using Test as Role on the PowerBI Service.

Highlighted

Hi there,

If you have a gmail or hotmail address you could test it yourself.

You are correct in that the test a role doesn't work

Power BI Blog

Highlighted

Thanks for the tip on gmail.  I used that and I'm getting the "live.com#john.doe@gmail.com" coming through using USERPRINCIPALNAME() as well.  It looks like USERNAME() and USERPRINCIPALNAME() work the same on the PowerBI Service according to the documents I found.

On the bright side, the user came back and has access now since I put the "live.com#john.doe@outlook.com" in my look up table, so at least I have a workaround.  Do you know if it will always be live.com# prefix?  

Highlighted

Thanks for the tip on using gmail.  I was able to test with the "live.com#john.doe@gmail.com".

USERPRINCIPALNAME() returns the same "live.com#john.doe@gmail.com" as USERNAME().  I saw some online documentation saying the same, that USERNAME() behaves differently on the PowerBI Service than on Desktop, but is the same as USERPRINCIPALNAME().

It looks like my table entry of "live.com#john.doe@gmail.com" does work though, so that is a workaround if needed, but very clunky.  So what I did was strip that Azure prefix out before the compare to get it to work.  Here's the code I use to limit the Country view:

[Reseller_Country] =
   LOOKUPVALUE(
      ReportUsers[Country],
         ReportUsers[Microsoft Account],
         MID(USERNAME(),
         FIND ("#", USERNAME(), 1,0) + 1,
         LEN (USERNAME())- FIND("#", USERNAME(), 1,0)
         ),
         ReportUsers[Country],
         [Reseller_Country]
      )

Now I don't have to worry about any random prefixes being added to the username e-mail address by Azure.  Thanks for the help.

Highlighted

Well done on getting it working

I would suggest using the USERPRINCIPALNAME to keep it consistent!

Power BI Blog

Highlighted

True, using USERPRINCIPALNAME() lets me test e-mail addresses on Desktop as well.  Thanks.

Highlighted

Yeah happy to assist

Power BI Blog

Highlighted

Well now I'm getting another variant from other users.  

It's returning "johndoe_abccompany.com#EXT#@microsoft.onmicrosoft.com" where the user's e-mail is johndoe@abccompany.com

Seems random on which format to use.  Frustrating to design something that works for everyone.  Perhaps the USERPRINCIPALNAME() function needs to be fixed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors