Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

megane123
Frequent Visitor

US States showing incorrectly on map

Hi All,

I was hoping to get some help with a field that I have labelled as 'State or Province'. It contains 2 letters for all rows, to represent employee states (US). I am then using this field as the location for the map visual.

This is working well & as expected when I view the visual on PBI Desktop, however when I publish to PBI Service, several of the states are showing as being in non-US countries. As an example, AL is showing as Alabama in PBI Desktop, but as Ali Sabieh in PBI Service.

AL.jpg

Other examples are CO showing as Colorado in PBI desktop, but Koudougou in PBI service, and SC showing as South Carolina in PBI Desktop, but Santa Catarina in PBI Service.

Has anyone experienced this before, and if so any advice on how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
David_Schwartz

For MIssissippi I went into tranform data and replaced MS with USA MS and it worked. 

goatley1
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've had the same problem several times.  Often creating a calculated field for country e.g., country = "US"  Then assign it as country in the data type.  However, I'm currently dealing with this same problem with MS showing up in central South America, a region in Brazil?

mgreezrhythmtx
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue!  On my PBI desktop MS is showing up as Mississippi correctly, but on Service, it's showing up in Paraguay.  I even tried to set the Country filter to USA, just to force it, but it is not working.

mgreezrhythmtx_0-1687485001558.png

That is actually Mato Grosso do Sul Brazil.  I'm having the same problem. 

Same problem. I tried this and it seems to be working:

Location = CONCATENATE("USA, ", 'Table'[States])

PS: I also changed the data type of Location to Place
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@megane123 I have not seen that. Where is your tenant located? And what is your language setting for Power BI Desktop?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler hi! We are based in the US although I am working from Northern Ireland. My PBI Language is set to English (United States)

@megane123 Hmm, I just tested this and can't reproduce it. This is the relevant information from my tenant. 

Service version13.0.16691.48
Client version2108.4.07469-train
TimeTue Aug 31 2021 07:54:37 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Your data is stored inNorth Central US (Illinois)

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

It's funny you couldn't replicate.  I was able to replicate in 2 minutes using an updated version of Power BI 2 years after you couldn't.

No idea why Power Bi would default to Brazil over a US state but the answer is to make the state MS-US instead of just MS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors