Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

URL Filter Inconsistent Behaviour Workspace vs App

I'm currently creating a paginated report which queries multiple data models to pull various indicators into one place. I am then providing a link from each indicator to their respective pbix report with a URL filter applied so the relevant data is showed. 

When I apply the URL filter to a report link contained within a workspace, the URL filter is passed through to any report I switch to. This is paticularly useful when models have consistant dimensions and field names e.g. employee #, vehicle reg or business area. However, when I apply the URL filter to a report link contained within an app, the filter gets cleared when switching reports.

I'm just trying to understand why these two different behaviour are in place and whether there's a workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I'm not sure I get what is working for you in the report but I can say here that the URL filter is for only the current report. You filter the report's dataset. If you leave that report in any way you miss the filter. That same behaviour is for the app. You send a URL filter to the report's url. When you change that report the filter is missed. That's how it's supposed to work. URL filter it's destiny to build button navigation or send and specific detail to somebody.

I hope that make sense. Let me know if that clarifies the behaviour.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I'm not sure I get what is working for you in the report but I can say here that the URL filter is for only the current report. You filter the report's dataset. If you leave that report in any way you miss the filter. That same behaviour is for the app. You send a URL filter to the report's url. When you change that report the filter is missed. That's how it's supposed to work. URL filter it's destiny to build button navigation or send and specific detail to somebody.

I hope that make sense. Let me know if that clarifies the behaviour.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors