Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpquinn
Helper I
Helper I

Turning on Q&A in PBI Gateway for SQL Server 2014 SSAS Cubes

Hello,

I have a SQL Server 2014 DB, with SSAS cubes, and Power BI Gateway with Azure, and access the cubes from the IE Web browser.

I went in with the browser, with a Dashboard open, and went to Gear, Settings, Datasets, Q&A and Cortana, and check on Q&A. I can't seem to activate the NLQ function. Whatelse may I need to do, or try to use the functionality?

I understand that it has to be a SQL SErver 2016 DB, but that was if you went straight to the Cubes on a 2014 machine, and this was not the case if your cubes were made available in the Azure PBI Gateway.

Thanks,

JPQ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jpquinn

Yes, you need to upgrade to SQL Server 2016 Analysis Service to get the Q&A feature supported.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@jpquinn

Q&A now only works with SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services tabular models being access in Power BI via an enterprise gateway. You can upgrade to 2016 and have a try to see if it works.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thank you Herbert

I'm using the PBI Gateway, we access our SQL Server 2014 SSAS Tablular Model cubes from there. It was my (mistaken) understanding that if your cubes were Tablular, and available in the Gateway (which I understand to be SQL Server 2016), then Q&A should work.

So what I think you're saying is that I must also have upgraded from SQL Server 2014 to 2016, keeping the migration of SSAS Tabluar model cubes, in order to use Q&A NLQ via the PBI Gateway on our cubes?

At this point, it would make sense, do to the results I'm seeing with my current setup, truing on Q&A in '14 and not being able to find how to do NLQ via the Gateway.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

JPQ

@jpquinn

Yes, you need to upgrade to SQL Server 2016 Analysis Service to get the Q&A feature supported.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thank you Herbet, looks like I got some upgrading to do. Any idea the level of impact for a '14 to '16 upgrade, namely the the Tabular Mode SSAS cubes in a '14 format? Thanks, JPQ

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors