Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

Trying to move the source of a report to a different Gateway/DataSet/DataSource

I am building a report for a customer and started by setting up a local copy of their SQL database.  I installed the on-Premise Gateway in Standard Mode, Power BI Desktop and was able to create a report and have it work when I uploaded it to the service.  Nothing unusual here.

I have just drove out the customer and setup the gateway on one of their machines.  In the Power BI Service, I can create a data source associated with the Gateway and it authenticates with the username and password.

I should point out that from my office I don’t have access to their SQL server directly so I cannot login to the SQL Server with Management Studio.  But I do have the Gateway access.

What I want to do is to either one of the following:

• Take my existing test report and change it to use the other gateway
    1. Either using Desktop or the Service

Or

• Create a new report / data set by using the other gateway / data source that I set up
    1. Either using Desktop or the Service

If I take my existing report on the Service and go into the settings of the dataset it allows me to work with the Gateway settings.  But it will not allow be to select a data source. It just says “Not configured correctly”.  It presents the original Data source definition (SqlServer{"server":"MyOwnServer","database":"thename"}) and wants to add it to the gateway.   The only available option “Add to gateway” does not seem to get me anywhere.

After a couple of hours of Googling and trying things, I am reaching out for help

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

While I don't mind comments from others, did find a solution.

Instead of trying to change the data source for the published report in the Service, I created an alias on my local development SQL server to match the name of the target customer server.  Then using Desktop I directed the existing report to the new alias. When I published the updated report it was much more cooporative.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

While I don't mind comments from others, did find a solution.

Instead of trying to change the data source for the published report in the Service, I created an alias on my local development SQL server to match the name of the target customer server.  Then using Desktop I directed the existing report to the new alias. When I published the updated report it was much more cooporative.

Hi @PowerBI-ELM 

Thank you for sharing. Cheers!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors