Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

Trying to make a date slicer which includes both date and time

Hi,

I have a table of many datetime datapointname value triplets from process probe sensors. 

• I want to have a slicer which I can use to pick from time1 on day 1 to time2 on day 2
  • So my approach has been to have three slicers   [Time Start] [Date Slicer] [Time End].   I have the data table and two time tables in 30 minute intervals so I have been able to create measures and display cards to show on the report the start and stop datetime combo.
  • I try to combine all this into a new table using DAX which filters the data table using the measures that I have but have not had any success.

Does anyone how how to set up a slicer or set of slicers so I can filter my report (for example), from 2022-Jun-15 at 4:30 PM to 2022-Jun-18 at 10:00 AM?

I am just learning about DAX.  I have spent a few hours at this with no sucess.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

While I don't mind anyone's comments on how to accomplish building a date/time slicer which might go from half way through another day I would like to report that I found an elegant alternative.

My data has a date and time stamp and a data_point_id  and a value.   I wanted to slice/filter so the user can filter by time from one point on day A to another time on day B.   I have a bad habit of doubling down trying to solve a problem with little latteral thinking

Then I realized that every record also has a unique record id (big integer) which goes up with time.  So I set the splitter to that and made some measures and card visuals to get the min and max datetime

It only needs one splitter (instead of two or three) and looks good to the user

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

While I don't mind anyone's comments on how to accomplish building a date/time slicer which might go from half way through another day I would like to report that I found an elegant alternative.

My data has a date and time stamp and a data_point_id  and a value.   I wanted to slice/filter so the user can filter by time from one point on day A to another time on day B.   I have a bad habit of doubling down trying to solve a problem with little latteral thinking

Then I realized that every record also has a unique record id (big integer) which goes up with time.  So I set the splitter to that and made some measures and card visuals to get the min and max datetime

It only needs one splitter (instead of two or three) and looks good to the user

Hi, @PowerBI-ELM 

Glad you found a workaround and shared it here.

It will help other community members easily find solutions when they encounter similar problems.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors