Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Evogelpohl
Helper V
Helper V

True/False Filter is now 0/-1 ???

Something odd happened today to a solution that has been working fine.

Note the horizontal slicer.  It is "TRUE" and "FALSE" in PBID.  When published to PowerBI.com, it becomes "0" and "-1"

Happening to others?

Capture2.PNG

Capture1.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Evogelpohl is this still a problem? Powerbi service having gone through few updates can you pls check and see if issue still exists.

View solution in original post

Looks fixed for me.  I just created a conditional column that results in a Logical (TRUE or FALSE).  It displays correctly in the service.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
JargerBiirli
Frequent Visitor

Probably related: I have a table visual showing a value that is originally boolean, but which I have set to show as an integer from Column Tools. Now, this works fine initially, with True becoming 1 and False 0. However, when I refresh the data, all the 1s suddenly become -1. If I switch the column back to True/False and then back to integer again, the values revert to 0 and 1. Seems like a bug to me.

Still getting that issue! For context for others - the reason I want to use whole number instead of boolean is because it allows me to use Conditional Formatting in a table. Conditional formatting in the table does not work with Booleans unless I use the 'COUNT' option, which of course is 1 for every row, regardless of whether it's true or false.

I have the same issue here.

2nd August 2022: Problem persist. Funny and strange

Vance_Tsai

It's Aug 2020 STILL a problem!

If you wanna fix this, try to use boolen type in your True/False column not use txt type.

Tried the Boolean option but then the dataset shows TRUE/FALSE but my report only has filter option TRUE ...

Barbel
Regular Visitor

It's 2018 and this still hasn't been fixed. How is it possible??

Anonymous
Not applicable

August 2019 and we're still getting that issue Smiley Sad

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Evogelpohl is this still a problem? Powerbi service having gone through few updates can you pls check and see if issue still exists.

The issue comes from when you have a column with TRUE/FALSE values and you leave its column type as text. During authoring in PBI-Desktop, everything works fine and PBI-desktop lets you use that field as a filter and it shows you the true/false values.

The same report continues to work fine after you publish it to PowerBi.com

The problem occurs right after a refresh is initiated in PBI.com. After that, what shows up as True/False suddenly shows up as 0/-1.

This difference in behavior between PBI-desktop and PBI.com has caused multiple teams at my company a lot of wasted hours trying to troubleshoot why its happening. 

Seems like a bug to me.

Another observation: when you leave the column as text and PBI.com performs an automatic translation to 0/-1, the refresh takes a lot longer. In my case, locally the report refreshed in under 10 minutes. A refresh in PBI.com would take 30 minutes. Having fixed the issue, it now takes only 15 minutes. Very odd behavioral difference between PBI-DT and PBI.com

2nd August 2022: Problem persist. Funny and strange

@ankitpatiraThis is still a problem and it appears to be a bug as it looks fine in the Power BI Desktop software however, the online version shows -1 and 0 for TRUE or FALSE. I hope Microsoft plans to fix this as I have way too many connections to have to create a conditional column for each one.

This is still an issue! Would really help if this is looked at my Microsoft! 

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/reports-doesnt-show-data-in-power-bi-web-service-after-refresh-i...

Looks fixed for me.  I just created a conditional column that results in a Logical (TRUE or FALSE).  It displays correctly in the service.

This still exists as a problem.

I have poured 10's of hours into trying to resolve this one until i realised it was changing 'TRUE' to -1!!

Strange that some people see this ad resolved for them while others (myself included) still see the problem?

Any mods out there know more about this one?

Mat 

I still have this issue if -and only if- my T/F column is set to TXT.  It it is & I publish to the service, it goes to 0/-1.  

If I change to a real T/F column in PowerQuery/Get-data from Text like below, then it resovles to TRUE and FALSE in the service.

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 11.20.54 AM.png

AH! now thats interesting @Evogelpohl

Mine is also a TXT column, perhaps i should move to using proper true/false datatypes?

Do we think this is a 'feature' or a bug in the online service?

Yes, I've learned w/ PowerBI to review each column-type in the get-data routine to ensure each is set to the right type.  Decimals are decimals, currency is fixed, integer is whole, date is date (not datetime), T/F is boolean, etc.  

I even go thru my data to ensure columns that hold values that represents ID's (like a primary key) are set to TXT so I don't get prompted to aggregate it.  

It's a ritual I force upon myself even if it looks like it guessed correctly.

Expecting the service to coherce a text value to a T/F value may seem logical, but i never trust it.

Aye, you are right - ill have to add this to the 100 other little things im going to have to check to ensure i dont come unstuck later!

Thanks for the quick replys! always great to hear someone else has your issue and has additional info!!

nmbalveren
Regular Visitor

It's happening to my reports when i want to show a chart with only the results of days in the current or previous week. Power M function Date.IsInCurrentWeek or Date.IsInPreviousWeek shows 0 or -1 instead of true or false in powerBI Desktop. This is really annoying when charts are not visible for the end user. Microsoft, is it possible to fix this!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors