Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trousbleshooting Paginated Report Email Subscriptions

Issue: Email Subscriptions to Paginated Reports occasionally fail. When I either; a) use a different account to create the same subscription or b) restart the Power BI Premium service, the subscription tends to run again. 

Challenge: I have not found anywhere in the Power BI admin data (audit logs in Office 365) that enables me to see when a subscription is run. Given this, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot or even be notified when a subscription does not run. 

Questions:

• How can I ensure the subscription will run every time? 
  • How can I troubleshoot/monitor email subscriptions to ensure recipents are receiving their desired paginated reports?
4 REPLIES 4
joel_gibby_csc
Helper II
Helper II

Hi 

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

There is currently no way to monitor subscription. 

Like other BI products, the time you set your subscription for is when the subscription begins processing. When the report processing is complete, the subscription is queued and sent to the e-mail recipients. We strive to process and deliver all subscriptions as quickly as possible. However, sometimes at peak demand you may see a longer delay due to the number of subscriptions that Power BI can send at once. Most customers shouldn’t see a delay of more than 15 minutes to process and send reports. It may take up to 30 minutes for certain times and tenants that have significant usage. We never expect any delay in delivery to be more than 60 minutes from the time the subscription is scheduled. If you experience a delay that long, first ensure that the address no-reply-powerbi@microsoft.com is on your safe sender list and isn't blocked by your e-mail provider. If the email isn't being blocked, contact Power BI support for assistance.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your quick response, @v-deddai1-msft. Questions in response to your reply: 1. We pay for Power BI Premium. Does this not mean we have dedicated capacity and thus your response regarding time-of-day issues is less relevant to us? 2. Our issue is not due to no-reply-powerbi@microsoft.com being on our safe sender list because many Power BI (PBI) subscriptions have successfully delivered emails to their intended recipients before and after one of our subscriptions has failed. In our experience, when a subscription does not send an email, two actions have helped us resolve the issue, neither of which I consider to be satisfactory solutions: a. we replace the subscription using a different account b. we restart our Power BI Premium capacity We run a very lean team and, while we can spend extra time setting up additional monitoring (e.g., we can monitor our database to see if the associated report queries run at the designated time, for example), this extra work creates opportunity costs for us and lowers the business value of Power BI. I believe the ability to monitor subscriptions (a log alongside the other audit logs) should be standard within Power BI / Office 365. Do you have any additional thoughts after reading our solutions above when a subscription fails?

Hi @Anonymous ,

I suggest you create a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors