Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Troubles with automatic update of dataset

Hello folks,

I'm trying to set up the automatic update for a dataset, so the dashboard I built in Power BI desktop can be automated daily at different hours automatically.

The trouble I'm facing is when I go to online service to set this update up, in Datasets ribbon appears the following error: 

Data source error: Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh.

diegoforero01_0-1612382382616.png

I think the problem is related to the fact I'm using several API with the same token of authentication for each, because in Data source error it mentions that "at least one data source is missing credentials" but honestly I don't know how to solve it. This mistake only appears in online service because when I update the information on desktop everything runs well.

I kindly appreciate any help to solve!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aj1973 So my friend, I already solve it. It was a tiny thing.

In pbi online in data source credentials ribbon, hit 'Edit credentials' and in 'Skip test connection', and that's all.

With that marked you will be able to schedule updates without need to set up a gateway nor Power Automate.

Thank you very much for your kindly help.

diegoforero01_0-1612476507631.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @aj1973 ,

Yes, all the api sources are anonymous, even though the problem remains.

diegoforero01_0-1612406436159.png

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Change Privacy Level to NONE.

Publish your report

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aj1973 
I already changed the Privacy level to 'None' for all Api in Data sources as in Current file as in Global permissions in the desktop file. I saved it, I published and go to PBI online, then I selected the dataset related to the dashboard, hit on 'Scheduled refresh' and try to edit the credentials in Data source credentials, indicating None in 'Privacy level setting for this data source', but stil the problem remains. 😞

diegoforero01_0-1612408670494.png

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

I am suspecting one of those data sources is the cause. Did you set up the credentials for each Web in here and sign in?

aj1973_0-1612446664989.png

Can you share with me those URLs! i want to try on my end.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aj1973 

I suspect the problem is related to the way as I put the token. I mean, the way Im connecting the Api in pbi desktop is: I hit 'Get Data', then 'Blank query', and in the Advanced editor I put the following:

let

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("url", [Headers=[Authorization="token"]])),

in

Source

Until that moment there's no problem, because I'm able to update all the information of all api's as many times as I want without problem.

Only the token is asked in that point, in any other point is asked, not even in pbi online. In fact, I have been trying to put it in pbi online and there's no a space where I'm able to paste it. The only thing I can do in pbi online is putting Anonymous as 'Authentication method' and None as 'Privacy level setting for this data source', no more.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

I see now your issue.

Connecting Power Bi service through APIs to data sources not always successful, that's why Microsoft is offering the Gateway and/or some other Apps to Get Data.

I found this that could be close to your issue 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-Service-API-authentication-Freshservice/m-p/998574#M91408

Maybe the solution would be to use a different way of connection like the Gateway!

This video can help you too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbJeIY2CgE

Good luck.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @aj1973 

I came from trying your suggestion and stil does not work. 😞

I tried to set up the gateway on pbi online, and when I try to provide data source settings appears following error:

"We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."

Even though, I used Power Automate, it tries to update the dataset but appears this thing with credentials as following: 

"It looks like scheduled refresh failed because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources".

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Would you please share with me one of those Web! I would like to try on my end.

Thanks

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aj1973 So my friend, I already solve it. It was a tiny thing.

In pbi online in data source credentials ribbon, hit 'Edit credentials' and in 'Skip test connection', and that's all.

With that marked you will be able to schedule updates without need to set up a gateway nor Power Automate.

Thank you very much for your kindly help.

diegoforero01_0-1612476507631.png

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Welcome, Glad you made it.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

In your desktop are you connecting to the source as Ananymous?

aj1973_0-1612406077506.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors