Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

J_Melton_TX
Frequent Visitor

Trouble setting up RLS for a set of reports

I couldn't locate where this issue was addressed, so I will ask here.  I am sort of new and having to learn things on my own, please forgive my lack of knowledge

We have a business with multiple locations and different owners/users that need to be limited to seeing details about their location, but NOT see the info for other locations.

I have a central PBIX file which pulls and cleans all of the data for all locations.
I have 2-3 PBIX files with sets of reports for various roles within the organizations that pull data from the central file, but don't store the data.
I will create apps from the various files which are accessible by staff at each location.
I am able to set up roles in the main file and restrict those roles to only see a particular location's data.

My issue is that I cannot set up those roles in the other "report" files.  That option does not appear in the same place it does on the central file.   I don't know if the RLS will work "through" the secondary PBIX file where the reports are.   I also don't see where I can assign those roles in the resulting apps from those report-centric PBI files.

I am more than a little past my experience level on this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

RLS only works on datasets. Your "thin reports" are just the report layer back to the original dataset. You need to create all RLS rules on that golden dataset. The thin reports will all honor those settings.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
J_Melton_TX
Frequent Visitor

Thank you.   This is very helpful - back to the computer!

edhans
Super User
Super User

RLS only works on datasets. Your "thin reports" are just the report layer back to the original dataset. You need to create all RLS rules on that golden dataset. The thin reports will all honor those settings.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors