Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sokon
Advocate V
Advocate V

Trial licenses that are not managed by Power BI: Are they reusable for other users?

As far as I know there are two possible trial licenses in Power BI:

1. One is managed by Power BI itself and can be activated by users themselves by clicking on the "Try Pro"-Button.
  2. The other is managed by AAD and can be assigned by a license admin.

My question concerns the licences described in bullet point 2

When trying to activate the test licenses, the dialogue states, that in whole 25 licences are going to be available:

AAD Trials.png

Question:

Does a licence disappear after being used for one month? Or can it be assigned to another user who can use it for another month?

Background:

I consider using those licenses for training purposes. I don't want to spend my precious PRO-licenses for users that might not user Power BI afterwards (but of course never want to give back a license). Additionally, the Power BI managed Trial license option disappears when we set the licensing information link in the Admin portal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Question:

Does a licence disappear after being used for one month? Or can it be assigned to another user who can use it for another month?

Yes, the licence will be expired after trial. And you cannot assign it to other users. And every new user can apply the Trial license.

Background:

I consider using those licenses for training purposes. I don't want to spend my precious PRO-licenses for users that might not user Power BI afterwards (but of course never want to give back a license). Additionally, the Power BI managed Trial license option disappears when we set the licensing information link in the Admin portal.

You can remove the license and reassign it to others here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Question:

Yes, the licence will be expired after trial. And you cannot assign it to other users. And every new user can apply the Trial license.

Background:

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @v-frfei-msft ,

Thanks for your quick response. OK, I understand that I cannot use licenses of type 2 for my purpose.

What do you mean by your second answer? What kind of license are you talking about here? Pro or type 1?

Hi @Sokon ,

Pro

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors