Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoachimSA
Helper II
Helper II

Transfer Result Table to next Model

Hi everybody,

I am working on a 2 Step Problem where I would like to use the "Result" from Step 1 in the form of an aggregated table as starting point for Step 2.

To make it a little bit more concrete:
Step 1: Rather complex mapping of certain products on a vehicle data base. Result: Product Market in Volumes, Variants, Prices, over time
Step 2: Use the produkt market in step 1 and pick certain projects for a business case 

With the composite models I could Direct Query into the Product Market dataset that I publish to the PBI service. But I do not want the whole complex model. Only that one prepared calculated table would be enough. Is there a way to only query into one specific table in the data set ?
I am currently experimenting with exporting my data via DAX Studio in an excel file. This has the added benefit of potential versioning of market and business case just by using file names.
I am also working with data flows for data preparation, but for the product mapping and project picking I do prefer the power of DAX which is why I get my result as a calculated table which seems to be hard to move to the next "stage" of my process.
Any tips and best practises on this kind of data governance problem is highly welcome.

Thanks and best regards,

Joachim

6 REPLIES 6
JoachimSA
Helper II
Helper II

Okay so I figured out that I can leverage the new DIrect Query to Power BI Dataset Feature.

I tried to force a local copy of my relevant tables by more or less duplicating them as calculated tables.
One additional reason for this is that RELATED() does not seem to work properly when I try to connect local tables to my remote model directly.

With these duplicated versions I recreate the relationships from the original model and add new ones.
The Problem is that often times when I try to add new columns in this calculated column I get an error:

Unexpected Error (File "tmitransaction.inl", Row 129, Function "TMRelationshipResolver::IslandFromPartition").

I have tried googling it but other that disabling automatic calendar tables (did not help) I did not find anything.
Any suggestions on this ?

JoachimSA
Helper II
Helper II

Hi 

JoachimSA_0-1637319322447.png

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @JoachimSA 

You could always query the other dataset with a DAX query and then put that into a table in Power BI Desktop, which you could then use in your report?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi GilbertQ,

thanks for your quick answer!
Intriguing thought...but how do I connect to another dataset without doing the live connection to a published PBI dataset bringing in all the tables ? Can I just query another dataset somehow with a specific DAX query ??  That WOULD be an amazing solution to my problem!

Hi @JoachimSA,

As I know, DAX only works with the model already connected.

How about live connection to SQL server Analysis Service, but the whole model, all tables, will be connected to the power bi, the same as pubilshed PBI dateset.

If you are worried about data privacy, you can use RLS in the step 1 model or hide tables you do not want to dispaly to users. And connet to the model.

The table you want used in the next model , you can just copy it and enter data in the next model.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi v-chenvuz-msft

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors