Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Neborad
Frequent Visitor

Total model size

Could anywan help me with the following:  Assumption: I decide to buy Premium P1 SKU for all of my employees, and also, I need to buy three additional PRO licenses for developers (two of these will be in charge for the admin roles and one for the designer). What is my total model size capacity? 25GB + 1*3 GB = 28GB and the Designer will have 26GB on the Cloud? For the better performance can I combinate Power BI capacity P1 SKU and Premium Per User, what will be my total model capacity in that case 25GB + 3*10 = 75GB 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

You cannot add Premium and PPU licenses to get more capacity. 

P1 has a memory limit of 25GB, but that is a relatively small model size. MS recommends the PBIX be 3GB or less for a P1. That is because it is compressed and can greatly expand into RAM depending on how many users are accessing it.
PPU has model limit of 100GB per model, which is vastly superior to a P1 or P2, but it requires every user have a PPU license to access. But once they have that, you can have dozens of 100GB models one or dozens of PPU workspaces. Very very powerful. But may not be cost effective for large organizations. P2 and P3 (and larger) capacities generally are better in those cases for a cost per user metric.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Neborad
Frequent Visitor

Pefect my friend, thanks a lot

Neborad
Frequent Visitor

Very good answer I am going to accept that as solution, but please could you give me a little bit more info. I understood first part of your answer very well, that I am limited on the 25GM with the combination the 3PRO licences and Permium Capacity P1. But I am not still crystal clear wiht the PPU. Is it mean that I cannot conmbinate PPU and Premium Per Capacity together? Because the PPU cannot share the content with the Premium Capacity? So it is better and cheeper to go with the P2 and P3 insted of PPU (example for more then 500 users)? Thanks

Premium is a per company capacity, and you can add as many workspaces to it as you want. 

PPU is a per user license, and you designate a workspace as PPU. then, only PPU users can get in. Pro and Free cannot.

Once designated as PPU, then it runs with the limits on the page I gave you, which is usually far above what a P1 or P2 capacity could do.

PPU though is intended for small orgs that cannot afford Premium. Not always, but usually. If you have 500 users and you want them to all be PPU, that would be 10,000/mo. You could just get premium for that, and have both a few more features (Premium has a few API calls allowed via Power Automate and other areas) that PPU doesn't have, plus multi-geo is desired, etc. And then it doesn't matter if you have 500 or 5,000 users. There is no extra cost. Only your developers need a Pro license to publish reports.

The only case I'd see a company having both Premium and PPU is to set up a group of Devs in PPU workspaces for testing and development, so as not to impact the company Premium capacity, but it wouldn't generally be used for actual report distribution.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

edhans
Super User
Super User

You cannot add Premium and PPU licenses to get more capacity. 

P1 has a memory limit of 25GB, but that is a relatively small model size. MS recommends the PBIX be 3GB or less for a P1. That is because it is compressed and can greatly expand into RAM depending on how many users are accessing it.
PPU has model limit of 100GB per model, which is vastly superior to a P1 or P2, but it requires every user have a PPU license to access. But once they have that, you can have dozens of 100GB models one or dozens of PPU workspaces. Very very powerful. But may not be cost effective for large organizations. P2 and P3 (and larger) capacities generally are better in those cases for a cost per user metric.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors