Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tlovley
Regular Visitor

Top N filter greyed out on service after publishing report

My report is a direct connect to a Analysis Services Cube.  When I view a report on the service and go to use the Top N filter it is  greyed out and unavailable (illustrated below).  Furthermore, on the desktop, if I choose Top N and supply the 'by value' measure before publishing, the Top N filter looks as it should on the service.  The report is filtered by the Top N selection.  However if I choose to switch to Basic or Advanced filtering, the Top N filter becomes greyed out again.  I can't go back to using the Top N filter.

I can reset the report to default which brings back the original Top N selection but that is not ideal.  This would mean for the Top N filter to be available to any/all reports I would need to publish ALL reports with it selected.  This is not a viable solution.

I need the user to be able to switch back and forth as needed.

Also there is no way for the user to change the 'by value' measure.  Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this behavior,

Terry

tlovley_0-1635335880010.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is working as designed ( not necessarily as desired ) . Report users cannot add or modify a TopN filter in the service.  Vote for the idea.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-henryk-mstf / @PBICommunity  ,
I am facing a similar situation where the Top N filter is working as expected in the Desktop version but after publishing it to Service, the Top N is greyed out. I am attaching screenshots for better understanding.

Is it working as designed? Should the filters not be retained as it is even after being published?

Pic1: This is a screenshot of the Desktop version where the Top N filter is working as desired and showing the visual correctly. Right after saving this I am publishing it to the Service version.

Desktop version has the Top N filter which is working as expected.Desktop version has the Top N filter which is working as expected.

--------------------------------------------------

Pic2:This is the view of the filter in Service version after publishing the report where the Top N filter is Greyed out. It was working as usual in the Desktop version, nothing was changed after publishing. I am not able to select the Top N to just see the top customers as my table has >26k rows which is not needed in the visual. I just need the Top 100 or 1000, which ever supports.

Service version where the Top N filter is greyed out after publishing the report.Service version where the Top N filter is greyed out after publishing the report.

-----------------------------------------

Requesting for assistance from @lbendlin or any Community member.

Regards,

Sahil

Vote for the idea.

tlovley
Regular Visitor

Thanks Henry,

I have a couple questions.  After publishing your test with the Top N set.  On the service could you use the drop down to change the filter to basic and/or advanced then back to Top N?  Top N was not greyed out?  Also, if you published the report without a default setting on the filter, on the service, was the Top N available?  Not greyed out?  Thanks, Terry.

This is working as designed ( not necessarily as desired ) . Report users cannot add or modify a TopN filter in the service.  Vote for the idea.

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tlovley ,

According to my test, when the filter in the powerbi desktop is set to Top N and then published to the service, adding the Top N filter again will prompt the prompt as shown below. Under other conditions, Top N can be used normally.

vhenrykmstf_0-1635819635811.png

vhenrykmstf_1-1635819660073.png

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

tlovley
Regular Visitor

Hello Henry, thanks for replying.

It looks like the screen shot in your reply was taken while using the desktop.  I can use the Top N in the desktop.  It's after publishing the report and viewing it on the service where the problem is.  If there is no default filter set on the dimension your only choices are advanced and basic.  The Top N filter is greyed out as in my original screen shot.  If the report is published with the Top N set then looking at it in the service the Top N will look as it should until it's changed to basic or advanced.  Then Top N becomes greyed out again.  No way to change back to Top N without refreshing the report.  Does that make sense?  Thanks again, Terry.

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tlovley ,

Based on your description, I can't reproduce your problem at the moment. top N filter always works properly.

vhenrykmstf_0-1635752787685.png

Can you provide more screenshots and relevant data for me to do further testing for you? Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors