Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KevinColes
Helper III
Helper III

Tooltips showing in Power BI App even though they are disabled in the report

Hi there,

We have an odd issue whereby we do not use any tooltips in our reports, yet they are showing up when viewed in the Power BI app. I saw another post suggesting that we set the transparency to 100% but we're not even using them so it seems odd that we would need such a workaround. 

We see this in the app:

KevinColes_0-1660587436050.png

But this in the browser (which is what we would expect):

KevinColes_1-1660587498473.png

The visual formatting is set up like this:

KevinColes_2-1660587577813.png

We have never once turned the Tooltips on so it seems like a bug. Can anyone suggest how to resolve this as the mobile users are frustrated with a giant tooltop blocking everything.

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
pace-jp

We are seeing this same issue. Tooltips is turned off (never turned on) in desktop app and in a browser, but when we use the Power BI app we get the tooltip popups. Very annoying. Definitely a bug.

KevinColes
Helper III
Helper III

Giving this a little nudge....anyone else seeing this issue?

Thanks!

KevinColes
Helper III
Helper III

@GilbertQ 

I guess I was hoping that there would be a reasonable explanation as to why it's different. I would prefer everyone uses the browser but I can't stop people from accessing via the app so ideally I would like to find a resolution.

Thanks

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KevinColes 

I would suggest when on a PC to use the browser, as you said it is much better experience. And this should help with the differences that are coming up!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

KevinColes
Helper III
Helper III

@GilbertQ 

No we never planned for them to be used on mobile devices as they're quite large reports with a lot of detail. Also, on a touch device you won't get the tooltip popping up unless you press and hold a value so it's not really an issue on a phone or tablet.

That said our users are using the app on their PCs (not even sure why since the browser is a better experience), and when they mouse over values this huge tooltip comes up. 

KevinColes
Helper III
Helper III

@GilbertQ 

I think we're talking about 2 different things here....we do not have any custom apps published in Power BI. I'm strictly talking about the Power BI mobile App (which can also be used on a Windows PC). 

We do not see anything different between browsers.....the browsers and the Desktop App all show the Standard tooltip (only shows a small pop-up of the value) when tooltips are off. This is what we want and expect. However in the Power BI mobile app, the full tooltip that I posted originally is showing and it blocks out the visuals and is very annoying. The app should render the same as a browser or at least resepct the fact that I don't have tooltips on and not show them.

Thanks

Ahh thanks @KevinColes 

Sorry for the confusion. And have you edited the mobile view in PBI Desktop for mobile devices?

Power BI Blog

KevinColes
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @GilbertQ 

Do you mean in the workspace in the Power BI Service? I see this when I view the workspace:

KevinColes_0-1660606726135.png

This has always been on Yes and as I mentioned its not like we changed from using the Tooltips to not using them....they were never enabled so there really isn't anything to update on the app side. 

Thanks

Hi @KevinColes 

You would still need to click on the Update app button to get it to show within the Power BI Service app.

Also another thing that sprung to mind is are the users using different browsers? 

The reason that I ask is that this might affect why it is showing different things!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KevinColes 

What I meant was when you upload a PBIX into an App Workspace, there is an option to Update the App on the right hand side. This is what the button looks like below.

GilbertQ_0-1660606527514.png

What happens is if you upload a PBIX into the App Workspace. Any changes made in the PBIX are NOT in the App. To show those changes you have to then click on the Update app button as shown above for those changes to show.

I would suggest playing with this to see if it works as expected?

Power BI Blog

KevinColes
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @GilbertQ 

I'm not sure what that involves....to be honest we had not planned to use the app but users just picked up on it and started using it. We never did anything for them to get access so from what I can see it just works and seems to update fine. 

Further, because we have never used the tooltips I don't know what would be different in the app to be updated....its not really like I suddenly turned them off and the App wasn't updated.

Can you explain what you mean for updating the App?

Thanks!

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KevinColes 

Can you confirm after you have uploaded the PBIX file you have also updated the App?

You need to update the app for the changes to be reflected.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors