Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tooltip value showing on wrong line

On my visual, the tool tip value is not showing up on the correct line.  For example, in the picture below, "August" should be on the TransactionPostMonth Line but shows up on the TransactionPostYear line instead.  Is there a way to force August onto the correct row of the tooltip?  Any suggestions or help are appreciated.

bbuell_0-1622575471223.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you put TransactionPostYear  and  TransactionPostMonthName   in x-axis? Based on my test, it will put all values in x-axis together:

Capture5.PNG

But if you put the field with long name, it will result in line feed.

Capture6.PNG

As a workaround, try to shortened field name.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you put TransactionPostYear  and  TransactionPostMonthName   in x-axis? Based on my test, it will put all values in x-axis together:

Capture5.PNG

But if you put the field with long name, it will result in line feed.

Capture6.PNG

As a workaround, try to shortened field name.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your first example where each item on the x axis shows up on a single line is what I'm trying to solve/prevent.  I'd like each item on the x axis to be it's own line.  Is there a way to do that?

Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous,

It is designed by default if you put these two column in x-axis,so if you want to show them in different lines, you can't use the default tooltips. There is a workaround, but it is a little complex. you can try to create a custom tootips, with these two fields in different lines. For more details, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-tooltips

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

You have no control over shifting the place where the Tool Tip appears.

You have used Clustered Column Chart, the light and dark blue values can be on the Primary axis as they are higher and the other two could be on the secondary axis, this way it would not be tiny. 

Try  Line and Clustered Column Chart.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.  My question isn't about where the tooltip shows up on the chart but the text inside the tool tip.  Currently, the year and month are showing up on the first row of the tool tip even though they are 2 separate data fields.  I would like the month (in this case "August") to show up next to the month field inside the tooltip text box.  For example:

The text inside the tooltip currently shows:

TransactionPostYear                        2020 August

TransactionPostMonthName          

#Charge                                           94,000,000

I'd like it to show:

TransactionPostYear                        2020

TransactionPostMonthName          August

#Charge                                           94,000,000

Hope this clarifies my issue.

thanks.  

@Anonymous 

In that case, you should go for Report Page Tooltip option:

https://youtu.be/URTA7JZsAtw

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  While a report page tooltip is an option, I was hoping that I could figure out how to get the default tooltip to format correctly.  Seems to either be a bug or a setting that I have that causes the month name to show up on the wrong line.  Any other thoughts on how to fix the default tool tip?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors