Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bdn008
Advocate I
Advocate I

Toggle on user name as a filter like 'assigned to me' on/off with bookmarks

Hello,

I have been searching here and saw some old responses but was hoping that PBI had made some progress since. I am looking to Toggle on user name as a filter like 'assigned to me' on/off with bookmarks. RLS does not help me here.

I have a columns in my data with assignee details (name , email etc.) and I want to add a toggle option for every user to filter the table with "Assigned to me" or not. I already have RLS defined by regions and I still want the users to still see his/her region, if they choose while being able to temporarily filter on themselves.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

how about this.  

show just mine.gif

This is a simulation using Adventure Works.

1. I have a table containing the countries that I am allowed to see, by placing the value returned by my username() into the table - on desktop for my demo.  

2. this table is connected to my territories table.

3. I wrote a measure that counts how many rows are in the territories table after I filter for my name using USERNAME()

MyRegions = VAR myCountry = CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Territories[Region]), Access[User]=USERNAME())
return CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Territories),KEEPFILTERS( myCountry))

4. I added this measure to the table that shows just my data as a filter >0

You know how to do the rest I guess.  I am sure you can adapt this to your needs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuzoup6yfuy480f/show%20my%20regions.pbix?dl=1

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bdn008 ,

The bookmark can only save the Filter, but if you want to get the user name or email to filter data only assigned to them, you may need to use a measure, but the filter cannot use the dynamic measure value, so as a workaround you can publish a report and use the dynamic RLS rules to make people only see data assigned to them.

If it doesn't meet your requirement, You can come up a new idea and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner. https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks,

I am trying to keep the report agile and limiting using RLS is not going to work. Iam also awatre of the limits to filter on a measure and will add that to the backlog in the ideas.

I am still hoping that someone has a brilient idea how to toggle on the USERNAME() on a table that included the user email address. My understanding is that the services will have the user email address in the USERNAME() variable, and I can't but think it should be possible to compare and apply a filter. Just need some shared brilliance..

how about this.  

show just mine.gif

This is a simulation using Adventure Works.

1. I have a table containing the countries that I am allowed to see, by placing the value returned by my username() into the table - on desktop for my demo.  

2. this table is connected to my territories table.

3. I wrote a measure that counts how many rows are in the territories table after I filter for my name using USERNAME()

MyRegions = VAR myCountry = CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Territories[Region]), Access[User]=USERNAME())
return CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Territories),KEEPFILTERS( myCountry))

4. I added this measure to the table that shows just my data as a filter >0

You know how to do the rest I guess.  I am sure you can adapt this to your needs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuzoup6yfuy480f/show%20my%20regions.pbix?dl=1

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

A quick update - the solution Matt provided absolutely works per my question!

Was also to create a new measure to count regions based on the USERNAME().

Hi Matt,

I am really excited and optimistic by this approach and happy to see that brilliance is still an option here.. I will modify this approach to fit my needs. I am not sure yet but this shows a real potential being a viable approach. I will update here if I had issues.  

Of course I am extra happy to see my DAX (Supercharge Power BI) instructor from last year helping here – Thanks Matt.

Side note: I highly recommend his class and can say that after completing it, I was at a much higher level of DAX and Power BI (super) User. Its the least I can do for all his help as a token of appreciation.

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-bi-online-training/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors