Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

smcdougal
Regular Visitor

Today Function in Column

A weird issue has come up, and I'm not sure if this is an issue with how I created a field, or how the data is refreshing. 

We have created an inventory forecast which uses data from multiple sources - inventory and orders from an internal data warehouse, planned production from an excel file.  Because there are multiple sources, the data is imported, rather than continuously updated. 

Not everything in inventory is currently available - some is undergoing testing and will be available at a later date.  So I created a calculated column, a date field, which is set to today if the inventory is available, and to whatever its assumed testing release date is if it is not.  

Inventory Available Date =  If([Post Testing Date] < today(), today(), [Post Testing Date])

The visualization that shows the forecast is filtered for the next 13 months, starting from today.  We have a reference date table - that date table and the inventory table are linked by [Inventory Available Date]

The problem is that the [Inventory Available Date] does not update in the published version.  So if the data was refreshed yesterday, when I open the report today, for all records the field value is 2/10/19, even though today is 2/11/19.  The visualization, however, knows the correct date, and so none of the current inventory is showing up in the table, since those values are yesterday. 

With the desktop version - if I leave it open overnight and come in the next morning, the issue is the same - as soon as I click on something, change a filter, etc, the value for [Inventory Available Date] updates correctly.  But for the web/published version, changing filters makes no difference. 

Our current solution is to refresh the data daily, but this seems like an odd issue, and I'm wondering if there is something in how the column is coded, or if there is something in the published version that could fix this issue.  Any thoughts are welcome!

Cheers!

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smcdougal,

Here I suggest to configure schedule refresh of your report. And you can set the refresh time in the early morning everyday.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @smcdougal ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Values in DAX columns are only calculated as part of the data import.  They are not recalculated on the fly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors