Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D-Jeffrey
Frequent Visitor

Timezone ... Daylight saving Timezone as my Local! Please can we get a native function?

Dear Power BI Development Team,

After 4 years of WAITING for a proper answer on DateTimeZone Desktop vs Service, when will you add the needed function?  Here are the many problems you would find if you tried to walk in the customers shoes for this:

1. A lot of customers like us, only have one timezone
  2. Timezones have daylight savings time, which means at one time it is -7 or times it is -8
  3. We created something for the desktop which has as a Local value different than the PBI Service value for a refresh.
  4. When you work a table of dates and time, you need to transform every value seperately because of daylight savings differences, something could be in the winter and other datetimes could be in the summer. (AKA very slow refresh)
  5. The users live in the real world, not on a military based, so we need to show local time.
  6. The community has had to create all kind of look up tables and query web services - WHY?
  7. Do you see this crazy table?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone#List_of_UTC_offsets  and this Daylight saving time by country - Wikipedia 
  8. Someday in the future, we will stop using Daylight savings, then all the code will need to concern that year as well.
  9. (And I will stop ranting now)

Here are some possible solutions for you to consider

1. How about a SetLocalZone function to force PBI Service to a Timezone Name : not a number,  PDT or PST, they have implications which to include daylight savings or not include.
  2. Or allow us to past a text value to SwitchZone to get a local daylight saving aware value back.
  3. Or give us a format option which allows a DateTimeZone value to be formatted to a specific daylight aware timezone

Please and Thank you for your taking time to read this.  I loved PBI so much I bought it for everyone in the company.

(Please Kudos this up so we can get this function the attention it needs)

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @D-Jeffrey 

Thank you very much for these ideas and advice. You can also post your idea at Ideas (powerbi.com). More people that have similar ideas and requests will see it and vote for it. We believe Power BI will be better with your help.

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang

D-Jeffrey
Frequent Visitor

And this is my point.  Nice that we have such creative people, but how about MS just give us a one stop function for this.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @D-Jeffrey 

I have created a blog post on how to achieve this in Power BI Using Power BI to ensure Daylight Savings Dates and Times change dynamically - Reporting/Analytics M...

This will work as previously tested.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors