Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yijichen
Employee
Employee

Timestamp only have date when directly connect to SQL database through Powerbi.com

Hi PowerBI Team,

When connecting to SQL database directly from pwerbi.com, the visualization will lose the time part from the timestamp. For example, 2015-08-01 14:00 will become 2015-08-01. Is this a desired feature?

Thanks for your help!

9 REPLIES 9
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@yijichen You can set the Data Type in Query Editor as shown below

queryeditor.png

Thanks for your feedback @ashishrj!

I agree with you that connecting SQL database through PowerBI desktop or Power Query will not have the probelm I mentioned. However, if we directly connect SQL database through PowerBI.com, this error can't be fixed with the same way.

Refresh frequency is the main reason for why I would like to connect to database directly through powerbi.com. If I do this way, the dashboard can be refreshed every 15-20mins for 24/7. If I connect SQL through PowerBI desktop or Power Query, it can only refresh 8 times a day.

@yijichen Sorry I saw this now that you are directly importing it in online. I suppose there is no option for customization or formatting in Power BI Online.

You can do so in database itself before importing it in online service

I tried that and it is still not working. I guess we need to wait PowerBI team to response this issue.

Same here. We have an Import from Azure Stream Analytics. Timestamp has the format (system.timestamp) like "2015-10-20T08:52:16.000Z" but in Power BI Dashboard or Report we se only the date "2015-10-20". Any idea why?

Has this issue been solved yet?

I am having the same problem publishing a timestamp column via Azure Stream Anaytics.

Thanks.

Enrico
Frequent Visitor

Now it is solved. You can see a real timestamp on your data in PBI from ASA. Could be that you need to delete your existing Report.

I am still having this issue. It was working fine until April 2016, anything changed recently?

PowerBIArtist
Advocate II
Advocate II

I have seen similar behavior and at one point I was able to get to a solution and have it running but not anymore. Whi can help?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors